Connect with us

Food

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid orders urgent aid flight to Afghanistan after deadly earthquake

Published

on

Spread the love

Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, upon the request of the international humanitarian community and the World Health Organisation (WHO), has ordered the facilitation of emergency aid flights to transport life-saving humanitarian assistance to Kabul, following a 5.9 magnitude earthquake that hit eastern Afghanistan.
On Tuesday 28th of June 2022, a cargo flight departed from Dubai to Kabul, carrying 24.5 metric tons of essential medicines, medical items, and cholera kits supplied by the WHO from its warehouses in the International Humanitarian City (IHC) in Dubai. The facilitation and transport of aid come in response to the immediate humanitarian needs of the landlocked Southern Asian country following the devastating earthquake that claimed the lives of at least 1000 people, amid fears of a cholera outbreak besides the country’s already dire humanitarian situation.

Giuseppe Saba, CEO of IHC, said: “Reports indicate that this is the deadliest earthquake in two decades, further compounding the alarming humanitarian situation in Afghanistan. The IHC, under the directives of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, is accelerating the rapid response of the international humanitarian community as it rallies to come to the aid of those impacted by the disaster. Many organizations that we host in IHC are working around the clock to mobilize resources, and we are coordinating with them to provide all the required support to transport relief from our warehouses into Afghanistan. Time is of the essence, and Dubai and the UAE’s leadership consider a swift response a humanitarian duty to save lives.”
Dr. Dapeng Luo, WHO Representative in Afghanistan said: “The trauma and emergency surgery kits that are arriving on this flight from WHO’s logistics hub in Dubai’s International Humanitarian City are absolutely critical to maintain our ongoing support to the people of Afghanistan as these supplies will cover the needs of at least 340,000 people.  We are grateful for the vital logistics assistance provided by the UAE in support of WHO’s global logistics hub in Dubai.”

With 20 years of experience across print, TV, and digital journalism, Sudhashree is a seasoned media professional with a keen eye for news. A true news bug, she thrives on curating stories that capture the pulse of fashion, film, and all things trending. Deeply immersed in the fast-evolving media landscape, she swears by the power of social media to shape narratives and spark conversations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Announcements

Dubai unveils mega Dubai Food District, set to become one of the world’s largest food trade hubs

Published

on

Spread the love

DP World has officially unveiled Dubai Food District, a bold transformation of the Al Aweer Central Fruit and Vegetable Market into one of the largest and most advanced food trade hubs in the world.

Rolling out in phases from 2027, the mega district will more than double the current market’s footprint to 29 million sq ft, bringing trade, storage, processing and distribution together under one roof. Think cold-chain logistics, smart warehousing, food processing, digital solutions, cash-and-carry zones and even a gourmet food hall.

Announced last year by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, the project expands beyond fruits and vegetables to include dairy, staples, gourmet and specialty foods, positioning Dubai as a global gateway for food trade and food security.

Built on Al Aweer’s strong legacy, serving over 2,500 traders since 2004, the district aims to boost efficiency, cut supply chain risks and help food businesses reach markets faster and smarter. With multimodal connectivity to more than 20 global markets, DP World is betting big on Dubai’s role at the heart of the future food economy.

Continue Reading

Food

Free Ice Cream in Dubai? Tourists landing at DXB get sweet treat

Published

on

Spread the love

There’s nothing like a cool treat to beat the Dubai heat, and this summer, visitors flying into Dubai International Airport (DXB) are in for a delightful surprise, thanks to a collaboration between Brand Dubai and Dubai Airports.

As part of the #DubaiDestinations campaign, colourful ice cream trucks have rolled into DXB’s arrivals area, dishing out frosty delights to jet-lagged passengers, all for free.

Who’s behind the scoop?
It’s none other than KUHP, a quirky, homegrown brand under the ‘Proudly from Dubai’ umbrella. Think premium swirls, chilled drinks, and major “Instagram it before you eat it” vibes.

“We want every arrival to feel the Dubai difference from the moment they land,” say organisers.

From the sweet aroma wafting through the terminal to the flash of the bright trucks, this isn’t your average airport snack stop; it’s a whole summer mood. The idea? Make every traveller’s first taste of Dubai as memorable as the city.

Cool campaign, cooler cause
Beyond just beating the heat, the move also spotlights Dubai’s creative spirit and shines a light on local businesses. It’s a clever way to turn the arrivals hall into an experience, and a pretty sweet start to any UAE adventure.

So next time you land in DXB, keep your eyes peeled near Terminal 3 arrivals. A free ice cream might be the first thing you taste in Dubai,  and not the last.

Continue Reading

Food

Popular Abu Dhabi eatery Pak Ravi among 6 food outlets shut over health violations

Published

on

Spread the love

One of Abu Dhabi’s long-standing Pakistani restaurants, Pak Ravi, has been ordered to shut down by the Abu Dhabi Agriculture and Food Safety Authority (ADAFSA), sparking disappointment among foodies. The closure was part of a broader crackdown that saw a total of five restaurants and one supermarket shut this week for violating food safety regulations.

In a post shared on Instagram, ADAFSA revealed that the closures were the result of routine inspections aimed at ensuring public health and safety. The authority reiterated its zero-tolerance policy for violations that endanger residents’ well-being.

Along with Pak Ravi, the establishments ordered to close include Lahore Garden Grill Restaurant and Cafeteria, Karak Future Cafeteria, Salty Desi Darbar Restaurant, Al Maqamcorner Restaurant, and Rich and Fresh Supermarket.

The specific violations committed by these businesses were not detailed, but ADAFSA said the actions were taken in accordance with Law No. (2) of 2008 concerning food safety in the emirate and its executive regulations. This law empowers authorities to take administrative action, including suspension and closure, against outlets that fail to meet hygiene and safety standards.

Just a day earlier, another restaurant, Rupashi Bangla Restaurant, located on Hamdan Bin Mohammed Street, was also shut down after inspectors found it to be in serious breach of food safety laws. Officials said the Bengali eatery posed a direct threat to public health, and it has since been served an administrative closure order.

Food safety officials in the capital conduct regular inspections of restaurants, supermarkets, and other food establishments across the emirate. The goal, they say, is to ensure that businesses adhere to strict hygiene practices and protect consumer health.

Residents are encouraged to report any suspected violations or unsafe practices by contacting the Abu Dhabi Government Contact Centre at 800 555.

Continue Reading

Popular

Exit mobile version
https://headline.ae/