Connect with us

Sports

Sublime Sinner downs Schwartzman, breaks Argentine hearts again – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

Jannik Sinner coasted into Wimbledon’s third round with a 7-5 6-1 6-2 victory over Diego Schwartzman on Wednesday.

Sinner, who knocked out Schwartzman’s compatriot Francisco Cerundolo earlier this week, showed steel to battle through a fairly even first set before turning on the style as he improved his head-to-head record against Schwartzman to 4-0.

“In the beginning I thought we were both a little bit tight. After that I played a little better, and I hit quite hard, especially in the third set. I think it was a good match,” the eighth seed said in his on-court interview.

The 21-year-old was sharp from the outset as he fended off three break points and punished his opponent with vicious forehand winners before breaking late to capture the opening set.

Sinner cruised from there on, using both serve and forehand to devastating effect as he controlled rallies from the baseline and frustrated Schwartzman, winning five straight games as errors crept into the Argentine’s game.

Not even a lengthy halt in play to close Court One’s roof could impede the Italian’s momentum, as he traded breaks early with Schwartzman in the third before seizing the advantage and wrapping up the contest with his 15th ace of the match.

“I felt like I was serving very well in the important moments,” said Sinner, who is chasing his first Major title after reaching the quarter-finals of three of the four Grand Slams last year.

“I tried to return as many balls as I could and I tried to play my game. Moving him around is not easy because he is so fast, so I tried to overpower him a little bit.

“Hopefully I can play some good tennis here, play point-by-point and then we’ll see where I can finish.”

Sinner will next face either Australian Aleksandar Vukic or Frenchman Quentin Halys, but he will have to wait until Thursday to learn the name of his third-round opponent after the pair’s match was postponed due to rain.

More from Sports



  • Alcaraz passes Wimbledon test

    Top seed Carlos Alcaraz survived his first big test at this year’s Wimbledon on Saturday and women’s champion Elena Rybakina doused British hopes as the big names moved through the gears into the second week.



  • Madrid to host Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Cup

    The San Sebastián Racecourse in Madrid will host the Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Cup on Sunday, July 9.



  • Man City Treble Trophy Tour heading to UAE

    Manchester City announced the details of its “Treble Trophy Tour” presented by official club partner, OKX, celebrating the club’s historic 2022/23 treble winning season.



  • Murray disappointed as Swiatek on form

    Novak Djokovic showed again why he remains invincible at Wimbledon, young rival Carlos Alcaraz graced Centre Court for the first time and Andy Murray’s hopes ended in Greek tragedy on another marathon day at the grasscourt slam on Friday.



  • Scream therapy pays dividends for Sabalenka as Alcaraz and Sinner advance

    There was a moment in the Wimbledon second-round match between Aryna Sabalenka and Varvara Gracheva when the Belarusian, a set down and playing poorly, sent a forehand wide before letting out a huge scream of frustration.

[ad_2]

Source link

News

Dubai robotics team earns global recognition at elite US competitions

Published

on

Spread the love

A Dubai-based student robotics team has put the UAE on the global STEM map after securing a major award at one of the world’s leading robotics competitions and earning an invitation to an elite international event in the US.

Team UFORCE, representing Unique World Robotics (UWR), finished third in the prestigious Inspire Award category at the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) Michiana Premier Event, held in Indiana from June 18 to 21.

The Inspire Award is FTC’s highest judged honour, recognising excellence in robot design, engineering, programming, innovation, teamwork and community impact. Team UFORCE competed against 96 top robotics teams from around the world.

Invited to exclusive global event

Following its strong performance, Team UFORCE also competed at the Multinational Tech Invitational (MTI) in Maryland, an invitation-only competition featuring just 44 of the world’s best FTC teams selected from more than 11,000 active teams globally.

Showcasing UAE STEM talent

The 16-member team includes students from schools across Dubai and Sharjah, highlighting the UAE’s growing talent in robotics and engineering.

“This achievement reflects the dedication, innovation and perseverance of our students and mentors,” said Bansan Thomas George, founder of Unique World Robotics.

Head coach Mohammed Mukhtar said competing on global platforms demonstrates the ability of young innovators from the UAE to excel internationally.

Team captain Aarnav Bhargava described the competitions as a valuable opportunity to develop technical skills, teamwork and confidence while competing against some of the world’s best robotics teams.

About FIRST Tech Challenge

FIRST Tech Challenge is one of the world’s largest youth robotics programmes and is supported by organisations including Google, Amazon and NASA.

The programme also offers students access to scholarships, mentorship opportunities and pathways to leading universities and STEM institutions.

The achievement also reflects the growing impact of firstrobotics.ae, a UAE volunteer-led robotics community that supports students interested in robotics, artificial intelligence and STEM education.




Continue Reading

Sports

DP World ILT20 is opening doors for local cricket talent, says UAE Fast Bowler Muhammad Rohid 

Published

on

Spread the love

For UAE fast bowler Muhammad Rohid, being among the highest-valued local players at the DP World ILT20’s first-ever player auction was more than a career milestone, it was proof that homegrown cricketers now have a genuine pathway to the professional game.

The left-arm pacer was signed by MI Emirates for $140,000 ahead of Season 4, making him the fifth-highest-priced UAE player in the historic auction. Rohid believes the league is changing the future of cricket in the Emirates by giving young players a platform to showcase their talent alongside some of the biggest names in the sport.

“The biggest thing the DP World ILT20 has done is create a clear pathway for UAE players,” Rohid said. “Young cricketers can now see that if they perform well, opportunities will come, whether that’s with a franchise or the national team.”

The 24-year-old credits the tournament with helping him develop both on and off the field. He recalled one of his standout moments from

Season 4, when he was told he would be playing in Qualifier 2 just 10 minutes before the toss. Despite the late call-up, Rohid delivered figures of 2 for 19, dismissing Brandon McMullen and Liam Livingstone during a match-winning spell.

“The biggest lesson I learned was to always stay ready because opportunities can come at any moment,” he said. “The environment taught me to trust my preparation, stay calm under pressure and back my abilities.”

Rohid also highlighted the value of sharing a dressing room with international stars such as Kieron Pollard, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd, Fazalhaq Farooqi and Shakib Al Hasan.

“Watching how they prepare, train and handle pressure has been a huge learning experience. They were always willing to share advice, and those conversations helped me become a better player.”

The pacer has since become a regular member of the UAE national team, featuring in ODIs and T20 Internationals, while also earning selection for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, where he represented the UAE against New Zealand.

Looking ahead, Rohid says his focus remains on improving his game and becoming a bowler his captain can rely on in every situation.

“I want to keep getting better every season and contribute more for both the UAE and MI Emirates. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve received and hope to make the most of them.”

Season 5 of the DP World ILT20 is scheduled to take place in November and December 2026.

Continue Reading

News

UAE wins three ICC Development Awards for women’s cricket and grassroots growth

Published

on

Spread the love

The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) celebrated a landmark achievement after winning three honours at the ICC Development Awards 2025, recognising its outstanding contribution to grassroots cricket and the growth of the women’s game in the UAE.

The awards were presented during the International Cricket Council (ICC) Annual Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland, where cricket boards from around the world were recognised for programmes that have helped expand participation and develop the sport.

Initiative of the Year

The ECB’s first award came in the Marriott Bonvoy ICC Development Initiative of the Year category for its pioneering Girls U15 Academy League. The programme, the first of its kind in the region, was recognised for creating new opportunities for young girls to participate in competitive cricket while promoting inclusion and wider access to the sport.

The board also shared the ICC Female Cricket Initiative of the Year award with Türkiye Cricket. The honour recognised the UAE’s efforts to expand girls’ cricket through the Get into Cricket – Girls Only programme and the Interschool Criiio Gulf Cup, initiatives launched following the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024 to introduce cricket to schools and communities across the country.

Victory for UAE women’s national team

Completing a memorable evening, the ECB received the ICC Associate Member Women’s Team Performance of the Year award after the UAE women’s national team made history during its tour of Zimbabwe.

Competing in their first-ever 50-over series after gaining ODI status, the UAE secured a 2-2 draw in the One-Day International series before defeating Zimbabwe 2-0 in the subsequent T20 International series. The result marked the UAE’s maiden bilateral series victory over a higher-ranked Full Member nation on foreign soil.

ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas described the awards as a significant milestone for everyone involved in UAE cricket.

“These awards are a massive encouragement for the Emirates Cricket Board management, officials, players and support staff,” Abbas said.

He thanked the ICC for recognising the work of Associate Members and said the honours had strengthened the board’s determination to invest further in cricket development.

Abbas also praised the rapid rise of women’s cricket in the UAE, saying growing media attention and increased participation at grassroots level were creating a strong foundation for the future.

“Thousands of girls are now playing cricket, which means that we have a solid foundation to work on for the years ahead,” he said.

Bright future for women’s team

Looking ahead, Abbas said the Emirates Cricket Board remains committed to providing the national women’s team with greater exposure against leading international sides as preparations continue for the ACC Women’s Asia Cup 2026 and qualification campaigns for future ICC Women’s T20 and ODI World Cups.

The ICC Development Awards recognise outstanding programmes and achievements that contribute to the growth of cricket globally, with winners selected from regional nominees across multiple development categories.

Continue Reading

Popular

Exit mobile version
https://headline.ae/