A piece of the most controversial moment in soccer history is being auctioned.
It’s the shirt that football legend Diego Maradona wore while scoring the controversial ‘Hand of God’ goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.
The jersey – being put on sale for the first time – could fetch more than 4 million pounds ($5.2 million) in an online auction that opens April 20, Auctioneer Sotheby’s was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.
Brahm Wachter, Sotheby’s head of streetwear and modern collectibles, said the shirt is “on a small list of the most important sports memorabilia items in the world”.
Football fans can’t forget that Maradona scored two goals in the quarter-final match in Mexico City on June 22, 1986. The referee allowed the first goal as a header, even though the ball had touched Maradona’s fist.
Maradona later said it had been scored “a little with the head of Maradona, and a little with the hand of God”.
In a 2019 documentary, he said the goal was a revenge for the British victory over Argentina in the Falkland Islands war.
While netting the second goal, he dodged nearly all the English defenders and punched the ball by beating one of the best goalkeepers Peter Shilton. A Fifa poll saw it being voted “goal of the century” in 2002.
Argentina won that game 2-1 and went on to lift the world cup. After the match, Maradona swapped shirts with the England midfielder Steve Hodge.
Since then, the shirt has been on display at the National Football Museum in Manchester, northern England.
But now, Hodge has decided to sell the jersey. Hodge said he had been a “proud owner” of a shirt that “has deep cultural meaning to the football world, the people of Argentina, and the people of England”.
The shirt could beat a record for a piece of sportswear, held by a Babe Ruth New York Yankees jersey that sold for $5.64 million in 2019, the AP reported.
It will be exhibited in Sotheby’s London showroom from April 20-May 4.
Motorists in Sharjah are being urged to plan after the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure confirmed a temporary road closure affecting traffic towards Dubai this weekend.
The short-term closure is part of ongoing infrastructure upgrades aimed at improving long-term traffic flow and road safety in the emirate.
Which roads are closing
According to the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure, the following roads will be closed:
Mosque Road
The distributor road at Al Badee intersection
Direction: Towards Dubai along Emirates Road
Closure Timing:
Start: 9pm, Saturday, February 21
End: 5am, Monday, February 23
The closure will last for two nights over the weekend.
Alternative route for drivers
Traffic will be diverted via:
Al Houshi Bridge
Along Mleiha Road, heading west
Motorists commuting between Sharjah and Dubai, particularly those using Emirates Road, should expect delays and allow extra travel time, especially during peak evening hours.
Authorities have confirmed that temporary road signs and diversion markers will be in place to guide drivers safely through the area.
Why is the road closure happening
The ministry stated the measure is necessary to facilitate development works and infrastructure upgrades in the area.
The goal is to:
Improve long-term traffic flow
Enhance road safety
Support Sharjah’s growing transport network
While short-term inconvenience is expected, officials say the upgrades will benefit daily commuters once completed.
Advice for motorists
If you regularly travel between Sharjah and Dubai this weekend:
Leave earlier than usual Follow diversion signage carefully Use navigation apps for live updates Avoid peak evening travel if possible
With thousands of commuters relying on Emirates Road daily, even temporary closures can significantly impact journey times.
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has launched a Ramadan traffic awareness campaign, distributing 40,000 awareness leaflets alongside Iftar meals and Ramadan gifts across Dubai.
The initiative targets taxi drivers, delivery bike riders and construction workers, in cooperation with public and private sector partners. The campaign aims to promote safe driving behaviour during the holy month and reduce traffic accidents across the emirate.
RTA confirmed it is using both printed and digital awareness tools to reach a wide audience and reinforce road safety messages throughout Ramadan.
Delivery riders received safety leaflets integrated with Iftar meals, while construction site workers were provided meals accompanied by pedestrian safety awareness materials.
Ahmed Al Khzaimy, Director of Traffic at RTA’s Traffic and Roads Agency, said Ramadan presents an opportunity to intensify awareness initiatives aligned with Dubai’s Traffic Safety Strategy and its vision of becoming “The World Leader in Seamless and Sustainable Mobility.”
He urged drivers to embody the values of patience and tolerance during Ramadan, particularly while fasting, and warned against driving while fatigued or drowsy.
Safety tips for drivers
Avoid driving immediately after a heavy Iftar meal
The Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure has announced that a lane on Emirates Road heading from Dubai towards Sharjah at Bridge No. 7 will be closed starting Thursday, February 19.
In a statement shared on X, the ministry confirmed that the temporary closure is part of ongoing Emirates Road enhancement and development works. No reopening date has been announced.
Motorists travelling from Dubai to Sharjah are advised to use alternative routes and follow traffic instructions to minimise delays and ensure safety.
Alternative routes and traffic diversions
The ministry urged drivers to comply with safety regulations and road signage to maintain smooth traffic flow during the works.
Earlier in February, authorities also announced the closure of the main road at Al Badi intersection towards Dubai (Emirates Road). In addition, the distribution road was closed, with traffic diverted to Al Hooshi Bridge on Maliha Road (Westbound).
Commuters are encouraged to plan and allow additional travel time during peak hours.