Connect with us

Sports

Raphinha scores twice to help Barca fight back and win at PSG – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

Brazil forward Raphinha scored twice to help Barcelona secure a 3-2 win at Paris St Germain in a lively Champions League quarter-final first leg on Wednesday, earning the Spanish side their first win in the knockout stage in four years.

PSG forward Kylian Mbappe was nowhere to be found in Parc des Princes as five-times European champions Barca managed to neutralise France’s captain, who was often frustrated in his attempts up front.

PSG came into the match unbeaten in their last 27 games in all competitions but were undone by a fired-up Barcelona side looking to return the club to the summit of European football.

After a glorious run from 2005-15, winning four Champions League titles, Barca failed to get past the last 16 in Europe’s elite competition in three consecutive seasons after being humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the 2019-20 quarter-finals.

“We should be proud to say that Barca is alive,” manager Xavi Hernandez told reporters.

“We understood how we had to work against one of the best teams in the world. It’s a small advantage but a victory that generates even more excitement in our city and within our fans.”

Xavi’s side dominated proceedings early on against the French side still looking for a first Champions League crown. Raphinha gave the visitors the lead with a rebound strike in the 37th minute after goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to clear a cross from his box.

Donnarumma looked nervous throughout the match, showing bad timing and making errors that almost led to Barcelona scoring the opener earlier in the first half.

However, PSG looked transformed after the break with manager Luis Enrique, a former Barca player and coach, switching things up and bringing on forward Bradley Barcola for Marco Asensio.

The attacking change resulted in the equaliser in the 48th minute when former Barca winder Ousmane Dembele smashed the ball into the top corner afterscooping a rebound inside the box and making a quick cut to his left, before unleashing a unstoppable shot between three defenders.

Barca were still reeling when the hosts took the lead through Vitinha who stroked the ball in two minutes later from a quick counter attack and substitute Bradley Barcola almost scored the third minutes later when his close-range strike hit the cross bar.

But Raphinha’s deft volley in the 62nd minute from a brilliant long pass by substitute Pedri brought the match level again, silencing the home crowd.

Andreas Christensen came off the bench to take advantage of a static Donnarumma to jump unchallenged in the six-yard-box and head in from a corner 13 minutes from time to give the Spanish side a narrow advantage going into next week’s second leg.

“It was a spectacular night, not only for me, but for the team as well,” Raphinha told reporters.

“We have been working very hard to come out and play like we did, showing our grit with such a good atmosphere is a very positive sign moving forward.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: The consequences Pakistan could face for boycotting the India match 

Published

on

Spread the love

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been thrown into uncertainty after the Pakistan government announced that its national cricket team will boycott its league-stage match against India, scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.

The announcement was made on Sunday via an official government post on X, granting approval for Pakistan to participate in the tournament but explicitly instructing the team not to take the field against India. No reason was cited for the decision.

ICC Issues Strong Warning

The International Cricket Council (ICC) reacted sharply, warning that selective participation threatens the integrity of global tournaments and could have long-term consequences for Pakistan cricket.

In a statement, the ICC said it “expects the PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution that protects the interests of all stakeholders,” while stressing that the decision could harm the global cricket ecosystem.

“Selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms,” the ICC said, adding that it is still awaiting formal communication from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

An important fixture

The India–Pakistan fixture is the most commercially valuable match of ICC tournaments, accounting for a significant share of global broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. If the match is forfeited:

  • Pakistan will lose two group-stage points
  • Its net run rate will be negatively impacted
  • Broadcasters and sponsors could seek compensation

Under ICC Playing Conditions, India must be present at the venue at the time of the toss for the match to be officially forfeited in their favour.

PCB Revenue and PSL at Risk

Despite financial struggles, the PCB currently receives $34.5 million annually from the ICC,  the fourth-highest share among member boards, largely driven by India–Pakistan matches.

If compensation is deducted from this revenue, the PCB could lose up to 70–80% of its annual ICC earnings. The ICC is also reportedly considering denying No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for overseas players seeking to participate in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

There is further concern that major cricket boards such as England and Australia could reconsider bilateral series with Pakistan.

Background to the Crisis

Tensions escalated after the ICC replaced Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament following Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India due to security concerns. PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accused the ICC of double standards and warned that Pakistan’s participation would ultimately depend on government approval.

Pakistan are placed in Group A alongside India, USA, Namibia and the Netherlands, with matches scheduled in Sri Lanka, a co-host of the tournament with India. Pakistan are due to play:

  • Netherlands on February 7
  • USA on February 10
  • Namibia on February 18

The India match now remains in serious doubt.

What Happens Next

The ICC has reiterated that its priority is the successful delivery of the T20 World Cup and has urged the PCB to consider the broader impact on fans, players and the future of Pakistan cricket.

With millions of viewers worldwide and enormous commercial stakes involved, the cricketing world is watching closely as the situation continues to unfold.

– Inputs from ESPN, ICC





Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: STARTRADER named official partner of UAE national cricket team 

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE Men’s National Cricket Team is heading into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 with a major boost, as STARTRADER has been announced as its Official Partner for the global tournament.

The renewed partnership means STARTRADER’s branding will feature on the official UAE team jerseys throughout the World Cup, which kicks off on February 7, 2026, across India and Sri Lanka.

The agreement was signed in Dubai on Wednesday, January 14, in the presence of senior officials from both organisations, including Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad, ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas, STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten, and UAE Men’s Captain Muhammad Waseem.

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten said the collaboration builds on the company’s earlier sponsorship of the UAE team during the Asia Cup, but with an even stronger commitment this time around.

“We know that cricket has a way of reminding us what commitment, trust and growth can achieve,” Karsten said.

“Continuing this partnership reflects our belief in long-term support for communities and in the human spirit driving both the game and the markets.”

He added that the partnership mirrors STARTRADER’s core values, where trust in strategy and teamwork plays a vital role in achieving sustainable growth, whether on the pitch or in global markets.

STARTRADER is regulated by five international authorities, including the SCA, ASIC, FSCA, FSA and FSC, reinforcing its focus on transparency, trust and long-term growth for its clients.

Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad welcomed the renewed partnership, describing it as a relationship that goes beyond sport.

“We are delighted to welcome STARTRADER as our Official Partner for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said. 

“This partnership reflects shared values of discipline, focus and resilience, and aligns perfectly with our vision as the UAE team continues to perform on the world stage.”


Continue Reading

Sports

Dubai named permanent opening city for new global beach volleyball series

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai is about to serve up something big on the global sports stage. The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced Dubai as the permanent opening destination of its brand-new international championship, the Beach World Series, which will launch for the first time in November 2026.

The announcement was made during the World Sports Summit, following the signing of a five-year strategic partnership between the Dubai Sports Council and FIVB, a move that further cements Dubai’s reputation as a leading host of major global sporting events.

A new model for global sport

Under the agreement, Dubai will become the first city in the world to host a permanent opening stop of the Beach World Series, setting a new benchmark for global championships that combine elite competition with entertainment, culture, and fan engagement.

The series introduces an innovative format that blends high-level beach volleyball with music, interactive experiences, and a vibrant beach atmosphere, offering something beyond traditional sporting events.

The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of senior officials from the Dubai Sports Council, with signatures from Guido Betti, Chief Business Officer of Volleyball World, and Eisa Sharif, Director of the Sports Events Department at the Dubai Sports Council.

Ten global destinations

The Beach World Series will span 10 international destinations, each bringing its own identity and local flavour to the competition. Dubai’s role as the opening city positions it at the heart of this global journey, showcasing beach volleyball as both an elite sport and a shared cultural experience.

Additional host cities are expected to be announced in the coming months as the Beach World Series expands across globally recognised sports and entertainment hubs.


Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/