Connect with us

Sports

Kvitova calls out Wimbledon for ban removal on Russians and Belarusians

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP / Matthew Stockman

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova opposed the grasscourt Grand Slam’s decision to lift its ban on Russian and Belarusian players ahead of this year’s tournament, saying she felt for Ukrainians amid Moscow’s ongoing invasion of their country.

Wimbledon, the only Grand Slam to bar players from Russia and its ally Belarus, said on Friday it would allow them to compete as “neutral” athletes, reversing the ban it imposed after Moscow invaded Ukraine in February 2022.

Kvitova, a Czech who won Wimbledon titles in 2011 and 2014, said players from Russia and Belarus should also be banned from the Paris Olympics next year.

“I always state that I’m against the war. I’m just more worried about the Ukrainian people and players,” Kvitova said on Friday after her Miami Open semi-final win over Sorana Cirstea.

The tournament organisers, defending what they called “an incredibly difficult decision”, said they “condemn totally Russia’s illegal invasion” and would bar players from expressing support for it or receiving state funding from Russia or Belarus.

Due to last year’s ban, Wimbledon was stripped of its ranking points. Its organisers and Britain’s Lawn Tennis Association were hit with huge fines by the WTA and ATP Tours, which govern the men’s and women’s games.

“I appreciate that Wimbledon had a tough time last year not giving the points (after) Belarusians and Russians didn’t play,” world number 12 Kvitova said.

They should not be allowed in the Olympics either, she said. “I’m still a bit on the Ukrainian side of this.

“Not in the Olympics, for sure, because I feel the Games are because we don’t want a war in the world. That’s my concern. I really appreciate that Wimbledon didn’t take them last year.”

The International Olympic Committee is to decide later on the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes at the Paris Games.

Ukraine has threatened to boycott the Games if Russians are allowed to compete there.

Russia’s Daniil Medvedev said he was relishing the opportunity to return to Wimbledon.

“I always said that I love this tournament. It’s the only Grand Slam, which is surprising when we have Roland Garros, that I didn’t make quarter-finals yet, and I want to do better,” said Medvedev, who has previously called for peace.

“I had some tough losses there. I want to try to turn this around. It’s a beautiful tournament, beautiful Grand Slam. I’m really happy I’m going to be able to play there this year.”

Medvedev said he was unsure how the British crowd would react to his presence.

“I cannot control it, but I will be happy to play there in front of all the people,” he said. “Hopefully on big courts. Hopefully have some big, amazing matches.”

[ad_2]

Source link

News

Big move for UAE cricket: Abu Dhabi takes over full ownership of T10 league

Published

on

Spread the love

Abu Dhabi Cricket & Sports Hub (ADCSH) has officially taken majority ownership and commercial control of the Abu Dhabi T10, marking one of the biggest changes yet for cricket’s fastest-growing format.

The move transforms the tournament into a fully Abu Dhabi-owned and managed sporting property, backed by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC) and supported by the Emirates Cricket Board.

A major new chapter for T10 cricket

Officials say the transition is designed to strengthen governance, attract bigger global audiences and position Abu Dhabi as the long-term home of T10 cricket.

The format, known for its fast-paced 10-over matches and international star power, has quickly built a global following thanks to its shorter games, entertainment-focused style and television-friendly format.

“This marks a new start for a tournament that has already demonstrated global relevance,” said Aref Al Awani, Chairman of the Board, ADCSH and General Secretary, ADSC.

Huge global numbers already

According to organisers, the 2025 edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 generated:

  • $512 million in media value
  • 687 million social media impressions globally

The tournament has also become known for attracting some of the world’s biggest cricket names and dramatic last-over finishes.

2026 tournament dates confirmed

The next edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 will run from:

  • November 7 to November 20, 2026
  • Hosted at Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi

The 2026 season will be the first full tournament under the new ownership structure.

Officials also confirmed that:

  • Eight franchises and ownership groups will be invited to participate
  • A new “Invitation To Tender” process will open for franchise partnerships
  • More details will be announced soon

Bigger ambitions beyond cricket

For Abu Dhabi, the move is about far more than sport.

Leaders say the revamped tournament will help support:

  • Tourism growth
  • International broadcasting opportunities
  • Community sports development
  • Abu Dhabi’s growing reputation as a global sports destination

Shaji Ul Mulk, Chairman of Mulk International, who helped launch the T10 concept, called the transition “an important step” for the future of the format.

Meanwhile, Matt Boucher, who has also been confirmed as the new CEO of the Abu Dhabi T10, said the focus now shifts toward improving governance, player structures and commercial growth to take the event “to the highest summit possible.”

“The Abu Dhabi T10 was born out of Shaji’s bold ambition and has grown into one of the world’s coolest cricket properties,” said Boucher.

As franchise discussions begin under the new structure, Abu Dhabi is making one thing clear: T10 cricket is no longer just a tournament, it is becoming a major long-term sporting asset for the UAE.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rio Ferdinand house for sale: Man Utd legend puts Kent mansion on market after Dubai move

Published

on

Spread the love

Rio Ferdinand may be done with UK living, for now.

The former Manchester United star, 47, has listed his seven-bedroom Kent mansion for £10.5 million (Dh52 million), hinting his move to Dubai is permanent.

Set in the exclusive Farnborough Park estate, the 12,500 sq ft home features landscaped grounds, a private gym, grand reception spaces, and a luxury master suite with dual dressing rooms. He bought it in 2008 for around £2.7 million, meaning a potential £8 million profit, though tax could apply depending on residency status.

Ferdinand moved to Dubai last year with his wife Kate and their children. They are now living in a luxury villa in Al Barari.

He has been candid about the move, citing more family time, an improved lifestyle, and the appeal of a fresh start. “The lifestyle, safety and weather, it just works for us,” Ferdinand said in the report.

He’s not alone. Vincent Kompany is also reportedly selling his UK home, as more football names rethink where they’re based.

Continue Reading

Sports

Big game tonight: Expect traffic delays around Dubai’s Al Wasl Club

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has alerted motorists to expected traffic delays on key roads on Wednesday, April 22, due to the AFC Champions League 2 match taking place at Al Wasl Club.

The fixture between Qatar’s Al Ahli and Al Nassr of Saudi Arabia is part of the ongoing AFC Champions League 2, Asia’s second-tier continental competition, which has been drawing strong crowds across the region. Matches at this stage of the tournament typically attract large numbers of fans, especially when hosted in major cities like Dubai, leading to increased traffic around stadium zones.

Authorities expect congestion on roads leading to and around the stadium, particularly during pre-match and post-match hours, as supporters head to watch the game live.

Motorists are advised to plan their journeys, allow extra travel time, and consider alternative routes to avoid delays.

To help ease congestion, the RTA confirmed that additional parking spaces will be available behind the stadium, offering more options for those attending the match.

The advisory is part of ongoing efforts to manage traffic during major sporting events and ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for residents and visitors across Dubai.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/