Connect with us

News

Nick Kyrgios Fires Back at Mahut in Explosive Tennis Comeback

Published

on

Spread the love

Adapted from an exclusive with Telecom Asia Sports

Abu Dhabi, December 20, 2024 – Nick Kyrgios is back, and he’s not holding back. After a hard fought defeat in his match against Andrey Rublev at the World Tennis League in Abu Dhabi, the Australian tennis star hit out at former doubles World No. 1 Nicolas Mahut amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Kyrgios’ comments about Jannik Sinner, the current world No. 1.

The drama began after Kyrgios, never one to mince words, expressed his desire to face Sinner at the upcoming Australian Open, vowing to turn the crowd against the Italian. Speaking on the Nothing Major podcast, Kyrgios said: “Let’s be honest, I just want to go out there and I really want to play Sinner. If I played him in the Australian Open, I’d get every person in the crowd to get on him. It would turn into an absolute riot. All respect would go out the window, and I would just do anything to win.”

Kyrgios’ comments came in the wake of Sinner’s doping controversy earlier this year, where the Italian tested positive for the banned substance clostebol. While Sinner was ultimately cleared of any fault by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), the case remains under appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Kyrgios has been vocal about his disapproval of the ruling, previously calling for Sinner to be banned.

Mahut, a former doubles World No. 1 and five-time Grand Slam champion, publicly condemned Kyrgios for what he deemed unnecessary and disrespectful remarks. Speaking to Eurosport, Mahut said: “I don’t like these kinds of statements. Kyrgios gave his opinion about Sinner’s positive tests, which is fine, but to let it escalate like this? Sinner has never disrespected anyone, and he’s the No. 1 in the world. There’s no need to let yourself go like this.” Mahut also dismissed Kyrgios’ chances of defeating Sinner, predicting, “Even if the crowd gets excited, Sinner will win that match easily with 6-3s.”

In an interview following his match at the World Tennis League in Abu Dhabi, Kyrgios responded to Mahut’s criticism with characteristic bluntness. Speaking exclusively to Telecom Asia Sports, he remarked: “I don’t know if there’s a back-and-forth. Nicolas Mahut, on a global level, hasn’t made inroads like I have, so I’ll let that be. And I don’t think the world necessarily cares too much about what Nicolas Mahut has to say.”

The 29-year-old, returning to the court after over a year recovering from wrist reconstruction surgery, also addressed his ability to compete at the highest level. “I wasn’t retiring. Trust me, I was two sets away from winning a Grand Slam. I didn’t retire; I was forced to stop playing for a while. It was very, very hard because I was playing the best tennis of my life,” Kyrgios told Telecom Asia Sports. “It’s been about 16 months since my surgery, and I’ve done everything the right way—no shortcuts, just rehab and hard work. I’ve put myself in the best position I can, and now I’ll let my tennis do the talking.”

Kyrgios didn’t shy away from addressing Mahut’s criticism of his confidence, saying: “I have people like Mahut telling me to be realistic. He was an amazing doubles player, a Grand Slam champion, no doubt, but he didn’t have the singles career I’ve had. That’s probably why he has his opinion. But on the singles court, he never had the belief I have, so that opinion means nothing to me.” He added, “Federer, Nadal, Djokovic—they were the greatest because people were defeated before they even stepped on the court with them. I don’t want to be that player. I’ll always back my ability and my belief.”

While Kyrgios acknowledged the current dominance of players like Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, he remained defiant. “There’s no doubt that Sinner, Alcaraz—these guys are the best in the world right now, hands down. But that doesn’t mean I won’t believe in myself. I’ll always back myself and do everything I can to compete,” he stated.

Kyrgios is set to make his much-anticipated return to the Australian Open in January, marking his first appearance at his home Grand Slam in three years. He will also partner with Novak Djokovic in the doubles draw at the Brisbane International, a pairing that has already created buzz in the tennis world.

As Kyrgios reenters the spotlight, one thing is clear—his unfiltered approach and unwavering confidence continue to make him one of tennis’ most polarizing and fascinating figures. Whether or not he faces Sinner, Kyrgios has made it clear that he’s ready to fight for his place among the game’s elite.


Education

Dubai freezes private school fees for academic year 2026–27

Published

on

Spread the love

The Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) has confirmed that private school fees across Dubai will remain unchanged for the 2026–27 academic year following a leadership directive aimed at supporting families and maintaining stability in the education sector.

The decision was issued under the guidance of Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai, and comes as part of wider measures designed to strengthen Dubai’s private education system while easing financial pressure on parents.

The announcement follows approval of Dubai’s second economic incentives package worth Dh1.5 billion, bringing the total value of recent support measures introduced across the emirate to Dh2.5 billion.

Financial support for schools and nurseries

As part of the latest package, private schools regulated by KHDA will receive several forms of operational support, including deferred licence renewal fees and delayed payment of fines.

Early childhood centres will also benefit from exemptions on licence renewal fees, fines and Dubai Municipality market fees.

Additional support from Knowledge Fund Establishment will include partial rent exemptions and extended rent-free periods for centres currently under development.

Authorities said the measures are intended to help education providers maintain operational stability while ensuring families continue to have access to affordable learning options.

Stability for families

Officials said the fee freeze and support measures aim to balance the needs of both families and education providers while reinforcing long-term confidence in Dubai’s education system.

Additional measures announced include temporary freezes on rent increases, deferred rental payments and suspension of certain contractual penalties for education institutions

Continue Reading

News

Dubai announces free parking and extended public transport timings for Eid

Published

on

Spread the love

Roads and Transport Authority has confirmed a series of transport and parking changes across Dubai for the Eid Al Adha 2026 holiday, including free public parking, extended Dubai Metro operating hours and updated public bus schedules.

The announcement covers public parking zones, the Dubai Metro, Dubai Tram, buses, marine transport services and customer happiness centres during the long Eid break.

Free parking across city

Dubai residents and visitors will be able to use public parking spaces free of charge from Monday, May 25, until Friday, May 29.

The RTA clarified that the free parking arrangement applies to all public parking zones except multi-storey parking terminals, which will continue operating with regular paid tariffs.

The update comes shortly after Parkin expanded its smart parking system across parts of Dubai using AI-powered parking cameras and digital payment technologies.

Metro and tram timings

Dubai Metro Red and Green Line stations will operate daily from 5am until 1am the following day between May 25 and May 31, giving commuters and Eid visitors extended travel flexibility across the city.

Meanwhile, Dubai Tram services will run from 6am to 1am the following day during the Eid holiday period.

The extended operating hours are expected to support increased movement across shopping destinations, tourist attractions and Eid events taking place around Dubai.

Bus schedules

RTA also confirmed temporary adjustments to some bus services during the holiday.

Passengers travelling between Dubai and Abu Dhabi should note that the Bus Route E100 from Al Ghubaiba Bus Station will be suspended from May 25 to May 31.

Travellers heading to Abu Dhabi are instead advised to use Bus Route E101 operating from Ibn Battuta Bus Station.

Updated bus schedules and timings will remain available through the S’hail smart application.

RTA centres

All RTA Customer Happiness Centres will remain closed during the Eid Al Adha break.

However, Smart Customer Happiness Centres at Umm Ramool and smart kiosks across locations, including Deira, Al Barsha, Al Tawar, Al Kifaf and the RTA Head Office, will continue operating 24 hours a day throughout the holiday.

Dubai typically sees a major rise in public transport usage during Eid holidays as residents and tourists move across shopping malls, beaches, entertainment destinations and family gatherings throughout the emirate.

Continue Reading

Crime

Why UAE banks are moving beyond SMS, OTPs and security codes

Published

on

Spread the love

The Central Bank of the UAE has instructed financial institutions across the country to strengthen fraud prevention systems and tighten customer authentication procedures as digital banking scams continue evolving globally.

The move comes as the UAE expands its efforts to protect consumers and strengthen confidence in the country’s financial system amid growing use of online banking and digital payment services.

According to the Central Bank, banks and financial institutions are now required to improve how they verify transactions and avoid depending on a single authentication method, such as SMS alerts or one-time passwords (OTPs), which fraudsters increasingly target through sophisticated cyber scams.

Real-time fraud monitoring

The regulator also confirmed it has started building a new Anti-Fraud Operations Centre known as CAFOC, which will act as a central platform for monitoring suspicious activity in real time and coordinating rapid responses across the banking sector.

The new centre is expected to combine advanced tracking systems, analytical tools and data-driven fraud detection capabilities designed to identify emerging threats faster and improve coordination between banks and government authorities.

The Central Bank added that the anti-fraud framework will also help collect and analyse fraud trends and behavioural patterns, allowing regulators to develop more targeted supervisory policies and interventions.

The latest measures arrive as financial fraud risks continue rising worldwide alongside rapid digital transformation and increased reliance on mobile banking, online transactions and electronic payment systems.

Authorities said ongoing engagement with banks and licensed financial institutions has helped strengthen implementation of the updated requirements and improve the sector’s readiness to deal with increasingly complex fraud threats.

Cybersecurity and financial fraud prevention have become major priorities for regulators globally, with many countries introducing stricter digital authentication standards as online scams become more advanced.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/