Connect with us

Sports

Pooran’s panache helps MI Emirates register handsome win against Gulf Giants

Published

on

Spread the love

The MI Emirates’ captain Nicholas Pooran was in the form of his life, as he guided his side over the line against the Gulf Giants, at the Dubai International Stadium on Friday evening, in Season 3 of the DP World ILT20. The MI Emirates won the game by five wickets and also registered their first victory of the season in Dubai. Skipper Pooran, who walked away with the player of the match award, finished unbeaten on 58 off 37 deliveries, also won the player of the match award.  

Earlier in the evening, the Gulf Giants, who were put into bat first, were off to a brisk start as openers Gerhard Erasmus and James Vince found the boundaries quite regularly. The duo threatened to go big, before Akeal Hosein had Erasmus’ number for 12 in the third over.

That brought Jordan Cox to the middle alongside Vince, and the duo continued to score at a good clip, ending the powerplay with the score at 52/1. Cox and Vince attacked the bad balls and ran hard between the wickets and put on a 51-run stand. Alzarri Joseph though broke the partnership in the 10th over. Tom Curran added 13 to the cause, as Vince marched on and got to his fifty as well.

With the final phase of the innings approaching, Vince, who was motoring along, had Shimron Hetmyer for company, and the Gulf Giants had the perfect platform to tee off. A couple of eight-run overs were followed up by a 19-run 16th over, as Vince put the long handle to good use and was playing a captain’s knock. Soon after though, the MI Emirates applied the brakes on the Giants, as they claimed the wickets of Hetmyer for 15, and Vince for 86 from 50 deliveries, his highest individual score in the ILT20. Eventually, Tim David and Chris Jordan wrapped up the innings for the Giants, scoring 10 not out each, and taking the total to 173/6 in 20 overs.

In response, the MI Emirates kicked off at fifth gear. Openers Andre Fletcher and Muhammad Waseem scored freely in the early overs, hitting a flurry of boundaries. The opening stand produced 44 runs before Waseem departed for 26 off 10. Tom Banton added 11 to the cause before Aayan Khan made him his second scalp.

Vince then ran out Kusal Perera for one, but Fletcher continued to chip away at the other end. The opener scored 31 and was castled by Blessing Muzarabani, who bowled a fantastic spell of 1 for 17 in 4 overs. The wickets had slowed down the MI Emirates, who had Nicholas Pooran and Bevon Jacobs looking to resurrect the chase.

In the final five overs, the MI Emirates needed 71 runs and had six wickets in hand. Pooran and Jacobs attacked the bowling, hitting some exquisite shots during a 53-run stand off 33 balls. Jacobs got 18 after which Chris Jordan accounted for him. Captain Pooran though was leading the charge at the other end, with Romario Shepherd happy to play second fiddle.

In the 18th over, Pooran brought up his half century, and the pressure was on the Giants, as the MI Emirates were well and truly in the box seat. Shepherd added a few lusty blows in the penultimate over, as the MI Emirates went into the final over needing six runs. Pooran smashed the first ball over cow corner for a maximum, to seal a fantastic five-wicket win.

Player of the match Nicholas Pooran said, “I knew I had to get the job done and had to be there till the end. I am more experienced now and know what’s required. The key is to trust yourself to absorb the pressure.”

Gulf Giants’ skipper James Vince said, “We didn’t feel it was that straightforward out there. There was some turn for the slower bowlers, but we dropped a catch, and it ultimately cost us tonight. Tonight hasn’t gone well for us.”

Brief Scores 

MI Emirates beat Gulf Giants by five wickets 

Gulf Giants – 173/6 in 20 overs (James Vince – 86, Shimron Hetmyer – 15, Muhammad Rohid Khan – 2 for 36, Waqar Salamkheil 1 for 23) 

MI Emirates – 174/5 in 19.1 overs (Nicholas Pooran – 58 not out, Andre Fletcher – 31, Romario Shepherd – 23 not out, Ayan Khan – 2 for 9, Blessing Muzarabani – 1 for 17.)  

Player of the match – Nicholas Pooran

News

Big move for UAE cricket: Abu Dhabi takes over full ownership of T10 league

Published

on

Spread the love

Abu Dhabi Cricket & Sports Hub (ADCSH) has officially taken majority ownership and commercial control of the Abu Dhabi T10, marking one of the biggest changes yet for cricket’s fastest-growing format.

The move transforms the tournament into a fully Abu Dhabi-owned and managed sporting property, backed by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC) and supported by the Emirates Cricket Board.

A major new chapter for T10 cricket

Officials say the transition is designed to strengthen governance, attract bigger global audiences and position Abu Dhabi as the long-term home of T10 cricket.

The format, known for its fast-paced 10-over matches and international star power, has quickly built a global following thanks to its shorter games, entertainment-focused style and television-friendly format.

“This marks a new start for a tournament that has already demonstrated global relevance,” said Aref Al Awani, Chairman of the Board, ADCSH and General Secretary, ADSC.

Huge global numbers already

According to organisers, the 2025 edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 generated:

  • $512 million in media value
  • 687 million social media impressions globally

The tournament has also become known for attracting some of the world’s biggest cricket names and dramatic last-over finishes.

2026 tournament dates confirmed

The next edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 will run from:

  • November 7 to November 20, 2026
  • Hosted at Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi

The 2026 season will be the first full tournament under the new ownership structure.

Officials also confirmed that:

  • Eight franchises and ownership groups will be invited to participate
  • A new “Invitation To Tender” process will open for franchise partnerships
  • More details will be announced soon

Bigger ambitions beyond cricket

For Abu Dhabi, the move is about far more than sport.

Leaders say the revamped tournament will help support:

  • Tourism growth
  • International broadcasting opportunities
  • Community sports development
  • Abu Dhabi’s growing reputation as a global sports destination

Shaji Ul Mulk, Chairman of Mulk International, who helped launch the T10 concept, called the transition “an important step” for the future of the format.

Meanwhile, Matt Boucher, who has also been confirmed as the new CEO of the Abu Dhabi T10, said the focus now shifts toward improving governance, player structures and commercial growth to take the event “to the highest summit possible.”

“The Abu Dhabi T10 was born out of Shaji’s bold ambition and has grown into one of the world’s coolest cricket properties,” said Boucher.

As franchise discussions begin under the new structure, Abu Dhabi is making one thing clear: T10 cricket is no longer just a tournament, it is becoming a major long-term sporting asset for the UAE.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rio Ferdinand house for sale: Man Utd legend puts Kent mansion on market after Dubai move

Published

on

Spread the love

Rio Ferdinand may be done with UK living, for now.

The former Manchester United star, 47, has listed his seven-bedroom Kent mansion for £10.5 million (Dh52 million), hinting his move to Dubai is permanent.

Set in the exclusive Farnborough Park estate, the 12,500 sq ft home features landscaped grounds, a private gym, grand reception spaces, and a luxury master suite with dual dressing rooms. He bought it in 2008 for around £2.7 million, meaning a potential £8 million profit, though tax could apply depending on residency status.

Ferdinand moved to Dubai last year with his wife Kate and their children. They are now living in a luxury villa in Al Barari.

He has been candid about the move, citing more family time, an improved lifestyle, and the appeal of a fresh start. “The lifestyle, safety and weather, it just works for us,” Ferdinand said in the report.

He’s not alone. Vincent Kompany is also reportedly selling his UK home, as more football names rethink where they’re based.

Continue Reading

Sports

Big game tonight: Expect traffic delays around Dubai’s Al Wasl Club

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has alerted motorists to expected traffic delays on key roads on Wednesday, April 22, due to the AFC Champions League 2 match taking place at Al Wasl Club.

The fixture between Qatar’s Al Ahli and Al Nassr of Saudi Arabia is part of the ongoing AFC Champions League 2, Asia’s second-tier continental competition, which has been drawing strong crowds across the region. Matches at this stage of the tournament typically attract large numbers of fans, especially when hosted in major cities like Dubai, leading to increased traffic around stadium zones.

Authorities expect congestion on roads leading to and around the stadium, particularly during pre-match and post-match hours, as supporters head to watch the game live.

Motorists are advised to plan their journeys, allow extra travel time, and consider alternative routes to avoid delays.

To help ease congestion, the RTA confirmed that additional parking spaces will be available behind the stadium, offering more options for those attending the match.

The advisory is part of ongoing efforts to manage traffic during major sporting events and ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for residents and visitors across Dubai.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/