Connect with us

Sports

Real Madrid thrash old rivals Barcelona 4-1 to win Super Cup – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

Vinicius Jr. scored a hat-trick in the first half as Real Madrid were crowned Spanish Super Cup champions after a 4-1 demolition of bitter rivals Barcelona in Saudi Arabia on Sunday.

Real dominated every aspect of the game and toyed with last year’s champions who could not handle Vinicius and ended the contest with 10 men after defender Ronald Araujo was sent off for a second booking in the 71st minute after two fouls on the Brazilian.

“I didn’t expect us to score three so soon, but we took advantage of their high defensive line with an inspired Vinicius tonight,” Real manager Carlo Ancelotti told Movistar Plus.

“It was a difficult match, the result seems too much for the way Barcelona played. At 3-1 it was even. At 4-1 they dropped their arms a bit. We are happy.”

Ancelotti was being kind to Barca who could have suffered an even bigger defeat after a dismal second half in which they didn’t record a single shot on target.

Real’s masterclass, however, had started much earlier, with Jude Bellingham, Rodrygo and Vinicius creating all kinds of trouble for a Barcelona defence that were playing with an extremely high line.

It took Real seven minutes to open the scoring thanks to a magnificent assist by Bellingham.

The England midfielder was surrounded by three players on the halfway line but somehow managed to produce a stunning pass to find Vinicius who took the ball in his stride and effortlessly raced past the goalkeeper to finish into an empty net.

Real wasted a great opportunity to extend their lead when Federico Valverde recovered the ball quickly and delivered a great pass through to Rodrygo, whose point-blank strike was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Inaki Pena.

Real’s second came from another long pass, this time with Dani Carvajal finding Rodrygo in the right channel. He broke into the box before squaring the ball across the penalty area for a Vinicius tap-in in the 10th minute.

Barcelona almost hit back quickly as Ferran Torres fired a half-volley against the crossbar and goalkeeper Andriy Lunin made a reflex save to deny a bullet strike from Robert Lewandowski on the rebound.

Yet Barca were resilient and managed to reduce the deficit with a fine Lewandowski strike from another rebound in the 33rd minute.

The momentum was seemingly in Barca’s favour when Aurelien Tchouameni lifted a cross to Vinicius Jr. who was held by defender Araujo as he tried to pounce on the ball. Vinicius took the penalty and netted with a tidy finish to the goalkeeper’s right in the 39th minute.

The goal was a hammer blow for Barcelona and Real dominated the second half with Rodrygo hitting their fourth from a rebound in the 64th minute.

The loss will increase the pressure on Barca manager Xavi, who has faced criticism from fans and media who are unhappy with the team’s form.

They sit fourth in the LaLiga standings on 41 points, eight behind leaders Girona and seven adrift of second-placed Real Madrid.

“We have not shown the level required for a match like this,” Xavi told a press conference.

“We played our worst game. We weren’t comfortable at any point. Madrid hurt us on the counter. I apologise to the fans because it was hard for us to compete and we showed our worst side.”

[ad_2]

Source link

News

Dubai robotics team earns global recognition at elite US competitions

Published

on

Spread the love

A Dubai-based student robotics team has put the UAE on the global STEM map after securing a major award at one of the world’s leading robotics competitions and earning an invitation to an elite international event in the US.

Team UFORCE, representing Unique World Robotics (UWR), finished third in the prestigious Inspire Award category at the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) Michiana Premier Event, held in Indiana from June 18 to 21.

The Inspire Award is FTC’s highest judged honour, recognising excellence in robot design, engineering, programming, innovation, teamwork and community impact. Team UFORCE competed against 96 top robotics teams from around the world.

Invited to exclusive global event

Following its strong performance, Team UFORCE also competed at the Multinational Tech Invitational (MTI) in Maryland, an invitation-only competition featuring just 44 of the world’s best FTC teams selected from more than 11,000 active teams globally.

Showcasing UAE STEM talent

The 16-member team includes students from schools across Dubai and Sharjah, highlighting the UAE’s growing talent in robotics and engineering.

“This achievement reflects the dedication, innovation and perseverance of our students and mentors,” said Bansan Thomas George, founder of Unique World Robotics.

Head coach Mohammed Mukhtar said competing on global platforms demonstrates the ability of young innovators from the UAE to excel internationally.

Team captain Aarnav Bhargava described the competitions as a valuable opportunity to develop technical skills, teamwork and confidence while competing against some of the world’s best robotics teams.

About FIRST Tech Challenge

FIRST Tech Challenge is one of the world’s largest youth robotics programmes and is supported by organisations including Google, Amazon and NASA.

The programme also offers students access to scholarships, mentorship opportunities and pathways to leading universities and STEM institutions.

The achievement also reflects the growing impact of firstrobotics.ae, a UAE volunteer-led robotics community that supports students interested in robotics, artificial intelligence and STEM education.




Continue Reading

Sports

DP World ILT20 is opening doors for local cricket talent, says UAE Fast Bowler Muhammad Rohid 

Published

on

Spread the love

For UAE fast bowler Muhammad Rohid, being among the highest-valued local players at the DP World ILT20’s first-ever player auction was more than a career milestone, it was proof that homegrown cricketers now have a genuine pathway to the professional game.

The left-arm pacer was signed by MI Emirates for $140,000 ahead of Season 4, making him the fifth-highest-priced UAE player in the historic auction. Rohid believes the league is changing the future of cricket in the Emirates by giving young players a platform to showcase their talent alongside some of the biggest names in the sport.

“The biggest thing the DP World ILT20 has done is create a clear pathway for UAE players,” Rohid said. “Young cricketers can now see that if they perform well, opportunities will come, whether that’s with a franchise or the national team.”

The 24-year-old credits the tournament with helping him develop both on and off the field. He recalled one of his standout moments from

Season 4, when he was told he would be playing in Qualifier 2 just 10 minutes before the toss. Despite the late call-up, Rohid delivered figures of 2 for 19, dismissing Brandon McMullen and Liam Livingstone during a match-winning spell.

“The biggest lesson I learned was to always stay ready because opportunities can come at any moment,” he said. “The environment taught me to trust my preparation, stay calm under pressure and back my abilities.”

Rohid also highlighted the value of sharing a dressing room with international stars such as Kieron Pollard, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd, Fazalhaq Farooqi and Shakib Al Hasan.

“Watching how they prepare, train and handle pressure has been a huge learning experience. They were always willing to share advice, and those conversations helped me become a better player.”

The pacer has since become a regular member of the UAE national team, featuring in ODIs and T20 Internationals, while also earning selection for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, where he represented the UAE against New Zealand.

Looking ahead, Rohid says his focus remains on improving his game and becoming a bowler his captain can rely on in every situation.

“I want to keep getting better every season and contribute more for both the UAE and MI Emirates. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve received and hope to make the most of them.”

Season 5 of the DP World ILT20 is scheduled to take place in November and December 2026.

Continue Reading

News

UAE wins three ICC Development Awards for women’s cricket and grassroots growth

Published

on

Spread the love

The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) celebrated a landmark achievement after winning three honours at the ICC Development Awards 2025, recognising its outstanding contribution to grassroots cricket and the growth of the women’s game in the UAE.

The awards were presented during the International Cricket Council (ICC) Annual Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland, where cricket boards from around the world were recognised for programmes that have helped expand participation and develop the sport.

Initiative of the Year

The ECB’s first award came in the Marriott Bonvoy ICC Development Initiative of the Year category for its pioneering Girls U15 Academy League. The programme, the first of its kind in the region, was recognised for creating new opportunities for young girls to participate in competitive cricket while promoting inclusion and wider access to the sport.

The board also shared the ICC Female Cricket Initiative of the Year award with Türkiye Cricket. The honour recognised the UAE’s efforts to expand girls’ cricket through the Get into Cricket – Girls Only programme and the Interschool Criiio Gulf Cup, initiatives launched following the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024 to introduce cricket to schools and communities across the country.

Victory for UAE women’s national team

Completing a memorable evening, the ECB received the ICC Associate Member Women’s Team Performance of the Year award after the UAE women’s national team made history during its tour of Zimbabwe.

Competing in their first-ever 50-over series after gaining ODI status, the UAE secured a 2-2 draw in the One-Day International series before defeating Zimbabwe 2-0 in the subsequent T20 International series. The result marked the UAE’s maiden bilateral series victory over a higher-ranked Full Member nation on foreign soil.

ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas described the awards as a significant milestone for everyone involved in UAE cricket.

“These awards are a massive encouragement for the Emirates Cricket Board management, officials, players and support staff,” Abbas said.

He thanked the ICC for recognising the work of Associate Members and said the honours had strengthened the board’s determination to invest further in cricket development.

Abbas also praised the rapid rise of women’s cricket in the UAE, saying growing media attention and increased participation at grassroots level were creating a strong foundation for the future.

“Thousands of girls are now playing cricket, which means that we have a solid foundation to work on for the years ahead,” he said.

Bright future for women’s team

Looking ahead, Abbas said the Emirates Cricket Board remains committed to providing the national women’s team with greater exposure against leading international sides as preparations continue for the ACC Women’s Asia Cup 2026 and qualification campaigns for future ICC Women’s T20 and ODI World Cups.

The ICC Development Awards recognise outstanding programmes and achievements that contribute to the growth of cricket globally, with winners selected from regional nominees across multiple development categories.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/