Connect with us

News

Carlsen ‘excited’ about chess league debut in Dubai

Published

on

Spread the love

World Rapid Chess champion Magnus Carlsen is looking forward to the “exciting prospect” of the upcoming Global Chess League (GCL) in the UAE. A joint venture between Tech Mahindra and world governing body FIDE, the GCL will feature Carlsen, a former five-time world chess champion, as an icon player.

With six teams, the inaugural edition of the GCL will be held from June 21 – July 2 at the Dubai Chess & Culture Club in association with the Dubai Sports Council. Grandmaster Carlsen said: “It is an exciting prospect for me to be a part of. This will be something new. Something that has not been done this way in over-the-board chess. I am looking forward to exploring this format in the future.”

Magnus Carlsen is the reigning Rapid Chess world champion.

The league will see each of the six franchises play a total of 10 matches in a double round-robin format, with the winner of each match being decided in a best-of-six board scoring system played simultaneously. The top two teams will qualify for the final and be crowned the World Champion Franchise Team.

Carlsen, who is known for his experimental views on chess, believes that team format matches are something that he really prefers. “Personally I very much enjoy team events and the team spirit within the group. I am looking forward to meeting the other players in the team, and competing with and against the exciting young generation of Indian players. One of the really good things about this tournament is that men and women can compete against each other at the same stage.”

Carlsen also rated the Indian talent that is coming through very highly by saying, “I think India is doing a lot of right things so far, and it is a matter of time before it is clearly the leading chess nation in the world.”

Hailing Tech Mahindra’s involvement with the league as a welcome move, Carlsen said: “I am happy that an ambitious partner like Tech Mahindra has joined the chess ecosystem. I believe this is a positive move for chess.”

Finally, in the conversation, Grandmaster Carlsen also reminisced about his best memories from his chess journey and said that he is thankful for his family’s support. “My family has always been very supportive without ever pushing me, and for that, I’m very grateful. The year we travelled together when I was 13, earning my Grandmaster norms, will always be a fond memory,” he said.

News

Traffic alert: New diversion announced on Sharjah’s Al Khan Road starting Friday

Published

on

Spread the love

Sharjah Roads and Transport Authority has announced a temporary traffic diversion on Al Khan Road as part of ongoing road expansion and bridge construction works aimed at improving traffic flow across the emirate.

The diversion will take effect from Friday, with authorities urging motorists to follow approved detour routes and traffic instructions during the construction period.

According to the authority, the works are part of wider infrastructure upgrades designed to reduce congestion and enhance connectivity in one of Sharjah’s busiest traffic corridors.

Drivers have been advised to plan journeys, use alternative routes where possible and comply with traffic safety guidelines to help maintain smooth traffic movement in the area.

The project forms part of Sharjah’s broader transport development strategy focused on upgrading road networks and supporting the emirate’s growing population and mobility needs.

Continue Reading

Announcements

Dubai announces Dh1.5 billion package to protect jobs and support businesses

Published

on

Spread the love

Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has approved a fresh Dh1.5 billion economic support package aimed at protecting jobs, easing pressure on businesses and strengthening Dubai’s economy during a challenging period for the region.

The latest measures bring the total value of Dubai’s recent economic support initiatives to Dh2.5 billion, following an earlier Dh1 billion package introduced earlier this year.

The new package includes 33 initiatives that will be rolled out over the next three to 12 months, targeting key sectors including tourism, hospitality, trade, education and customs services.

One of the biggest beneficiaries is Dubai’s hotel and tourism industry, with several major fee relief measures announced to reduce operating costs.

Hotels across the emirate will be allowed to postpone 100 per cent of government sales fees on rooms as well as food and beverage services for three months. The relief applies to hotels, hotel apartments and holiday homes.

Dubai has also postponed the Tourism Dirham fee, a charge applied to hotel stays for up to 30 consecutive nights, for the same period. Hotels will additionally be exempt from permit, postponement and cancellation fees related to events.

Retailers and commercial businesses are also expected to benefit, with Dubai removing additional charges linked to sales campaigns and promotional offers. The move is likely to encourage more discounts and shopping promotions across the city over the coming months.

The package further includes streamlined procedures for residency permit issuance and renewals, although detailed implementation guidelines are yet to be announced.

Other sectors receiving support include education, customs, transport and aviation. Measures include deferred licence renewal fees for educational institutions, payment deferrals in the transport sector, an 80 per cent reduction in customs fines and a 50 per cent cut in fees for renewing civil aviation permits.

In a statement shared on X, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum said the initiatives reinforce Dubai’s economic resilience and competitiveness while strengthening partnerships between the government and private sector.

He added that Dubai remains committed to supporting businesses and residents while continuing to position itself as a leading global economic hub.

Continue Reading

News

Free parking in Sharjah during Eid Al Adha: What motorists need to know

Published

on

Spread the love

Sharjah City Municipality has announced free public parking across the emirate during the first three days of Eid Al Adha as part of a wider citywide operational plan to ensure smooth celebrations and public safety.

The municipality confirmed that parking fees will be waived on the first, second and third days of Eid, except in paid zones marked with blue signboards, which remain operational throughout weekends and public holidays. Smart parking areas in tourist destinations and major commercial districts will also continue to operate around the clock via the Sharjah Digital platform and app.

Inspectors to monitor markets

Also, as part of the Eid readiness campaign, the municipality said 239 inspectors will be deployed across the emirate to monitor markets, public facilities and commercial establishments during the holiday period.

Authorities have also assigned 35 veterinarians to oversee livestock inspections and ensure health and safety standards are maintained at animal markets and slaughterhouses ahead of Eid sacrifices.

The municipality said the measures are part of a broader effort to enhance public services, maintain cleanliness and safety standards, and ensure residents and visitors enjoy a smooth and organised Eid holiday across Sharjah.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/