Connect with us

Sports

Djokovic fights back from two sets down to reach US Open final 16

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP / Corey Sipkin

A tenacious Novak Djokovic survived a US Open late-night fright, battling back from two sets down to tame fellow Serb Laslo Djere with 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 to move into the fourth round at Flushing Meadows.

On the ropes and reeling Djokovic, as he has done many times before, he snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in front of a record crowd inside a breathless Arthur Ashe Stadium court.

It marked the 38th time Djokovic has won a five-setter and kept alive the 36-year-old’s quest for a fourth U.S. Open crown that would pull him level with Margaret Court’s record haul of 24 Grand Slams.

“I hope you enjoyed the show, it was not so enjoyable for me, especially in the first two sets,” Djokovic told the crowd. “It was one of the toughest matches I have played here in many years.”

Djokovic had looked imperious in his opening two matches, surrendering only 11 games in blowout wins over Frenchman Alexandre Muller and Spaniard Bernabe Zapata Miralles, but his 32nd-seeded countryman proved a far tougher test.

The two Serbs had only clashed once before that, in Belgrade last year, but there were signs then that Djere was a danger, with the contest needing three sets and two tie-breaks before Djokovic claimed the win.

Djere signalled to Djokovic he was in for more of the same on Friday when he broke the second-seed to start the match and then held his nerve the rest of the set for an unexpected and well-earned 1-0 lead.

Facing one of the greatest players of all time under the bright lights of tennis’s biggest stage, a fearless Djere could not be rattled, piling on the pressure with another break to go up 4-3 in the second on the way to a 2-0 lead that left Arthur Ashe Stadium stunned.

Djokovic was not without his opportunities but did not capitalise on his chances until backed into a corner.

With the crowd still buzzing, Djokovic came out for the third set with an urgency and energy missing in the opening two sets, breaking Djere at the first opportunity and again to go up 4-0 on the way to cutting the deficit to 2-1.

“I did a little pep talk in the mirror,” said Djokovic about his bathroom break after the second set. “I kind of laughed at myself because I was agitated and annoyed with the result, I had to kind of force myself to lift myself, to lift the spirits up.”

With cracks in Djere’s game starting to appear, Djokovic continued to dial up the pressure breaking again to open the fourth set pulling a mighty fist pump from the 36-year-old.

But Djere was not done immediately breaking back, setting the stage for what was a marathon third game that saw Djokovic regain control with yet another break.

Moving in for the kill Djokovic swept the next six games to take the fourth set and a 2-0 lead in the decisive fifth that he would never surrender.

“Once I got the break in the third, I thought ‘OK, I have a shot, I have a chance,” said Djokovic. “I might as well go after it.”

“I started to play a bit more aggressively and read his games slightly more than I had in the first two sets, and it worked well.

“But trust me, it was nerve-wracking all the way till the last shot,” he added.

[ad_2]

Source link

News

Big move for UAE cricket: Abu Dhabi takes over full ownership of T10 league

Published

on

Spread the love

Abu Dhabi Cricket & Sports Hub (ADCSH) has officially taken majority ownership and commercial control of the Abu Dhabi T10, marking one of the biggest changes yet for cricket’s fastest-growing format.

The move transforms the tournament into a fully Abu Dhabi-owned and managed sporting property, backed by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC) and supported by the Emirates Cricket Board.

A major new chapter for T10 cricket

Officials say the transition is designed to strengthen governance, attract bigger global audiences and position Abu Dhabi as the long-term home of T10 cricket.

The format, known for its fast-paced 10-over matches and international star power, has quickly built a global following thanks to its shorter games, entertainment-focused style and television-friendly format.

“This marks a new start for a tournament that has already demonstrated global relevance,” said Aref Al Awani, Chairman of the Board, ADCSH and General Secretary, ADSC.

Huge global numbers already

According to organisers, the 2025 edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 generated:

  • $512 million in media value
  • 687 million social media impressions globally

The tournament has also become known for attracting some of the world’s biggest cricket names and dramatic last-over finishes.

2026 tournament dates confirmed

The next edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 will run from:

  • November 7 to November 20, 2026
  • Hosted at Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi

The 2026 season will be the first full tournament under the new ownership structure.

Officials also confirmed that:

  • Eight franchises and ownership groups will be invited to participate
  • A new “Invitation To Tender” process will open for franchise partnerships
  • More details will be announced soon

Bigger ambitions beyond cricket

For Abu Dhabi, the move is about far more than sport.

Leaders say the revamped tournament will help support:

  • Tourism growth
  • International broadcasting opportunities
  • Community sports development
  • Abu Dhabi’s growing reputation as a global sports destination

Shaji Ul Mulk, Chairman of Mulk International, who helped launch the T10 concept, called the transition “an important step” for the future of the format.

Meanwhile, Matt Boucher, who has also been confirmed as the new CEO of the Abu Dhabi T10, said the focus now shifts toward improving governance, player structures and commercial growth to take the event “to the highest summit possible.”

“The Abu Dhabi T10 was born out of Shaji’s bold ambition and has grown into one of the world’s coolest cricket properties,” said Boucher.

As franchise discussions begin under the new structure, Abu Dhabi is making one thing clear: T10 cricket is no longer just a tournament, it is becoming a major long-term sporting asset for the UAE.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rio Ferdinand house for sale: Man Utd legend puts Kent mansion on market after Dubai move

Published

on

Spread the love

Rio Ferdinand may be done with UK living, for now.

The former Manchester United star, 47, has listed his seven-bedroom Kent mansion for £10.5 million (Dh52 million), hinting his move to Dubai is permanent.

Set in the exclusive Farnborough Park estate, the 12,500 sq ft home features landscaped grounds, a private gym, grand reception spaces, and a luxury master suite with dual dressing rooms. He bought it in 2008 for around £2.7 million, meaning a potential £8 million profit, though tax could apply depending on residency status.

Ferdinand moved to Dubai last year with his wife Kate and their children. They are now living in a luxury villa in Al Barari.

He has been candid about the move, citing more family time, an improved lifestyle, and the appeal of a fresh start. “The lifestyle, safety and weather, it just works for us,” Ferdinand said in the report.

He’s not alone. Vincent Kompany is also reportedly selling his UK home, as more football names rethink where they’re based.

Continue Reading

Sports

Big game tonight: Expect traffic delays around Dubai’s Al Wasl Club

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has alerted motorists to expected traffic delays on key roads on Wednesday, April 22, due to the AFC Champions League 2 match taking place at Al Wasl Club.

The fixture between Qatar’s Al Ahli and Al Nassr of Saudi Arabia is part of the ongoing AFC Champions League 2, Asia’s second-tier continental competition, which has been drawing strong crowds across the region. Matches at this stage of the tournament typically attract large numbers of fans, especially when hosted in major cities like Dubai, leading to increased traffic around stadium zones.

Authorities expect congestion on roads leading to and around the stadium, particularly during pre-match and post-match hours, as supporters head to watch the game live.

Motorists are advised to plan their journeys, allow extra travel time, and consider alternative routes to avoid delays.

To help ease congestion, the RTA confirmed that additional parking spaces will be available behind the stadium, offering more options for those attending the match.

The advisory is part of ongoing efforts to manage traffic during major sporting events and ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for residents and visitors across Dubai.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/