Connect with us

Sports

Europe surge to seven-point lead after 3-1 foursomes win – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

PAUL ELLIS/ AFP

Inspired by a Ryder Cup record 9&7 victory for Viktor Hovland and Ludvig Aberg and another point for on-song “Fleetwood Mac”, Europe moved closer to a huge victory as they beat the U.S. 3-1 in the foursomes to open a massive 9-1/2-2-1/2 lead on Saturday.

Europe, seeking to extend their 30-year unbeaten home record, looked out of sight going into the fourballs, with timing fast running out for the stunned Americans.

None were more shellshocked than heavyweight duo Scottie Scheffler and Brooks Koepka, a combination of the world number one and a five-time major winner, who were blown away by the in-form Norwegian Hovland and 23-year-old Swede Aberg, who turned professional only in June.

Their victory surpassed the previous 7&6 record margin for a foursomes that had been achieved three times and the only bigger individual match wins came in the old 36-hole contests.

Tommy Fleetwood and Rory McIlroy – dubbed Fleetwood Mac – looked as if they were going to do something similar as they won the first three holes in the first match out.

However, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth, one of the Americans’ most productive partnerships in recent years, fought back strongly, only to be eventually dispatched 2&1 on the 17th.

Max Homa and Brian Harman finally claimed the States’ first win of the competition when they beat Shane Lowry and Sepp Straka 4&2, but Europe finished on top when Jon Rahm and Tyrrell Hatton beat Patrick Cantlay and Xander Schauffele on the 17th having never trailed.

“I don’t think we could have done better,” Hovland said after a round with Aberg that looked for the pair like a fun day out with friends.

“We have the same humour, same culture. He doesn’t miss a shot. It’s easy when I’m playing well and he’s playing well.”

Conversely Scheffler and Koepka played horribly, barely finding a fairway, and the former was in tears as he left the course. Both were left out of the afternoon fourballs.

In 2021 it was McIlroy crying as Europe were blown away 19-9 and he said memories of that were in his mind as he chalked up his third win from three matches in Rome.

“I have been waiting for this opportunity for two years,” he said. “Whistling Straits was a disappointment and I wanted to put it right and redeem myself a little bit. I have been able to do that over the first day and a half and now I have the opportunity to try and go unbeaten for the week.

“I’m in a position where I can see the finish line. I just have to go out and do what I’m doing and hopefully the putts drop an can keep putting blue on the board.”

European captain Luke Donald opted to use the same four pairings who swept a 4-0 victory in Friday’s opening foursomes, though he did change the order.

On Friday, Spaniard Rahm finished with two eagles on the last two holes to win his fourballs and on Saturday, with seemingly the entire 45,000 crowd squeezed around the 17th, he effectively settled a tense match by almost scoring a hole in one.

“He’s like a walking highlights reel,” said partner Hatton.

Europe head into the fourballs and Sunday’s singles needing five of the 16 available points to extend their incredible home record.

It would need an all-time Ryder Cup record comeback for the US to turn things round but Homa, who was a rare bright spark on Saturday, was not giving it up.

“We know how good we are,” he said. “We obviously are in a big hole but we have the right guys to dig ourselves out of it.”

[ad_2]

Source link

News

Dubai robotics team earns global recognition at elite US competitions

Published

on

Spread the love

A Dubai-based student robotics team has put the UAE on the global STEM map after securing a major award at one of the world’s leading robotics competitions and earning an invitation to an elite international event in the US.

Team UFORCE, representing Unique World Robotics (UWR), finished third in the prestigious Inspire Award category at the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) Michiana Premier Event, held in Indiana from June 18 to 21.

The Inspire Award is FTC’s highest judged honour, recognising excellence in robot design, engineering, programming, innovation, teamwork and community impact. Team UFORCE competed against 96 top robotics teams from around the world.

Invited to exclusive global event

Following its strong performance, Team UFORCE also competed at the Multinational Tech Invitational (MTI) in Maryland, an invitation-only competition featuring just 44 of the world’s best FTC teams selected from more than 11,000 active teams globally.

Showcasing UAE STEM talent

The 16-member team includes students from schools across Dubai and Sharjah, highlighting the UAE’s growing talent in robotics and engineering.

“This achievement reflects the dedication, innovation and perseverance of our students and mentors,” said Bansan Thomas George, founder of Unique World Robotics.

Head coach Mohammed Mukhtar said competing on global platforms demonstrates the ability of young innovators from the UAE to excel internationally.

Team captain Aarnav Bhargava described the competitions as a valuable opportunity to develop technical skills, teamwork and confidence while competing against some of the world’s best robotics teams.

About FIRST Tech Challenge

FIRST Tech Challenge is one of the world’s largest youth robotics programmes and is supported by organisations including Google, Amazon and NASA.

The programme also offers students access to scholarships, mentorship opportunities and pathways to leading universities and STEM institutions.

The achievement also reflects the growing impact of firstrobotics.ae, a UAE volunteer-led robotics community that supports students interested in robotics, artificial intelligence and STEM education.




Continue Reading

Sports

DP World ILT20 is opening doors for local cricket talent, says UAE Fast Bowler Muhammad Rohid 

Published

on

Spread the love

For UAE fast bowler Muhammad Rohid, being among the highest-valued local players at the DP World ILT20’s first-ever player auction was more than a career milestone, it was proof that homegrown cricketers now have a genuine pathway to the professional game.

The left-arm pacer was signed by MI Emirates for $140,000 ahead of Season 4, making him the fifth-highest-priced UAE player in the historic auction. Rohid believes the league is changing the future of cricket in the Emirates by giving young players a platform to showcase their talent alongside some of the biggest names in the sport.

“The biggest thing the DP World ILT20 has done is create a clear pathway for UAE players,” Rohid said. “Young cricketers can now see that if they perform well, opportunities will come, whether that’s with a franchise or the national team.”

The 24-year-old credits the tournament with helping him develop both on and off the field. He recalled one of his standout moments from

Season 4, when he was told he would be playing in Qualifier 2 just 10 minutes before the toss. Despite the late call-up, Rohid delivered figures of 2 for 19, dismissing Brandon McMullen and Liam Livingstone during a match-winning spell.

“The biggest lesson I learned was to always stay ready because opportunities can come at any moment,” he said. “The environment taught me to trust my preparation, stay calm under pressure and back my abilities.”

Rohid also highlighted the value of sharing a dressing room with international stars such as Kieron Pollard, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd, Fazalhaq Farooqi and Shakib Al Hasan.

“Watching how they prepare, train and handle pressure has been a huge learning experience. They were always willing to share advice, and those conversations helped me become a better player.”

The pacer has since become a regular member of the UAE national team, featuring in ODIs and T20 Internationals, while also earning selection for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, where he represented the UAE against New Zealand.

Looking ahead, Rohid says his focus remains on improving his game and becoming a bowler his captain can rely on in every situation.

“I want to keep getting better every season and contribute more for both the UAE and MI Emirates. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve received and hope to make the most of them.”

Season 5 of the DP World ILT20 is scheduled to take place in November and December 2026.

Continue Reading

News

UAE wins three ICC Development Awards for women’s cricket and grassroots growth

Published

on

Spread the love

The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) celebrated a landmark achievement after winning three honours at the ICC Development Awards 2025, recognising its outstanding contribution to grassroots cricket and the growth of the women’s game in the UAE.

The awards were presented during the International Cricket Council (ICC) Annual Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland, where cricket boards from around the world were recognised for programmes that have helped expand participation and develop the sport.

Initiative of the Year

The ECB’s first award came in the Marriott Bonvoy ICC Development Initiative of the Year category for its pioneering Girls U15 Academy League. The programme, the first of its kind in the region, was recognised for creating new opportunities for young girls to participate in competitive cricket while promoting inclusion and wider access to the sport.

The board also shared the ICC Female Cricket Initiative of the Year award with Türkiye Cricket. The honour recognised the UAE’s efforts to expand girls’ cricket through the Get into Cricket – Girls Only programme and the Interschool Criiio Gulf Cup, initiatives launched following the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024 to introduce cricket to schools and communities across the country.

Victory for UAE women’s national team

Completing a memorable evening, the ECB received the ICC Associate Member Women’s Team Performance of the Year award after the UAE women’s national team made history during its tour of Zimbabwe.

Competing in their first-ever 50-over series after gaining ODI status, the UAE secured a 2-2 draw in the One-Day International series before defeating Zimbabwe 2-0 in the subsequent T20 International series. The result marked the UAE’s maiden bilateral series victory over a higher-ranked Full Member nation on foreign soil.

ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas described the awards as a significant milestone for everyone involved in UAE cricket.

“These awards are a massive encouragement for the Emirates Cricket Board management, officials, players and support staff,” Abbas said.

He thanked the ICC for recognising the work of Associate Members and said the honours had strengthened the board’s determination to invest further in cricket development.

Abbas also praised the rapid rise of women’s cricket in the UAE, saying growing media attention and increased participation at grassroots level were creating a strong foundation for the future.

“Thousands of girls are now playing cricket, which means that we have a solid foundation to work on for the years ahead,” he said.

Bright future for women’s team

Looking ahead, Abbas said the Emirates Cricket Board remains committed to providing the national women’s team with greater exposure against leading international sides as preparations continue for the ACC Women’s Asia Cup 2026 and qualification campaigns for future ICC Women’s T20 and ODI World Cups.

The ICC Development Awards recognise outstanding programmes and achievements that contribute to the growth of cricket globally, with winners selected from regional nominees across multiple development categories.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/