Connect with us

News

Johnson Charles’ quick-fire 71 dominates as Sharjah Warriorz overwhelm Dubai Capitals by nine wickets 

Published

on

Spread the love

Johnson Charles ignited the Dubai International Stadium, leading the Sharjah Warriorz to a resounding nine-wicket victory on Tuesday night. His breathtaking knock of 71 runs in 33 balls set up a flawless run chase in only 11.5 overs as the Warriorz maintained their undefeated record against the Dubai Capitals in the DP World ILT20.  An impactful show from the spinners including two wickets for 28 runs from Adam Zampa in the first innings restricted the Dubai Capitals to 131/9. The result gives the Warriorz’s net run rate a significant boost, keeping them firmly in the fray for a playoff berth. 

The powerplay made the chase a mere formality as Johnson Charles and Tom Kohler-Cadmore dominated the bowling to set the highest powerplay score of the season. The pair raced to 79 runs in just six overs, with Charles in particular wreaking havoc to smash five towering sixes, including a remarkable 24-run over off Zahir Khan.  

Charles brought up his fifty in 21 balls, studded with six sixes and two fours. He continued his rampage until he was halted by Sikandar Raza in the 11th over. Charles departed after striking three fours and eight sixes, which included a combination of power hitting, deft touches and switch-hits. 

Tom Kohler-Cadmore wrapped up proceedings in the next over with a clever boundary off Dushmantha Chameera. The Englishman finished with 54 runs in 32 balls, smashing eight fours and two sixes on his way there. 

Earlier in the day, Adam Rossington bludgeoned a six and two fours as the powerplay saw 55 runs for the Capitals. Shai Hope played second fiddle to Rossington until the latter was accounted for by Adam Zampa in the seventh over for 37 runs in 23 balls.  

Following the power play there was a steep drop in the run-rate. While Shai Hope occupied one end, batting with restraint, the wickets tumbled around him as the spinners dominated the middle overs.  Zampa claimed another when he dismissed Gulbadin Naib, and skipper Sikandar Raza was removed by Ashton Agar. In the same over, Najibullah Zadran was run out to leave the Capitals in hot water at 85/4 in 12 overs.  

UAE’s Rohan Mustafa kept the pressure on with the wickets of Khalid Shah and Dasun Shanaka to expose the tail. Meanwhile Hope’s stint at the crease came to an end for 45 runs in 52 balls at the hand of Tim Southee in the 18th over.  Rovman Powell provided a flicker of hope with an unbeaten 32 runs in only 16 balls, peppered with three fours and two sixes but the Dubai Capitals finished the innings at a below-par score of 131/9 in 20 overs.  

Player of the match, Johnson Charles said: “They got off to a bit of a flier, but I love playing in Dubai because the conditions tend to get a bit skiddier, which suits my style. I thought Ashton Agar and Rohan Mustafa bowled exceptionally well and complemented each other perfectly. We managed to put the opposition under pressure. Ash and I have played a lot together in the past, and it’s always a pleasure to play alongside him. It felt almost nostalgic since we haven’t had many opportunities to play together recently.” 

Dubai Capitals captain, Sikandar Raza said: “I thought we were traditional in our batting. We needed more sweeps, reverse sweeps and switch hits. We went into a shell rather than being aggressive. Johnson is a fantastic player and has done that to many teams; it was quite hard to bowl at him. He played a lot of great shots. One bad game is not going to derail us. We will try to get this game out of the system and winning the next two is the target.” 

Brief Scores –

Sharjah Warriorz beat Dubai Capitals by nine wickets 

Dubai Capitals 131/9 in 20 overs (Shai Hope 45, Adam Rossington 37, Rovman Powell 32 not out, Rohan Mustafa 2 for 12, Adam Zampa 2 for 28) 

Sharjah Warriorz 135/1 in 11.5 overs (Johnson Charles 71, Tom Kohler-Cadmore 54 not out, Sikandar Raza 1 for 9)

As a trainee reporter and creative lead, I focus on curating engaging content and managing the social media presence for the company. I aim to connect audiences with relevant, impactful news through multiple digital platforms.

News

Sharjah road closure this weekend: Emirates Road diversion announced

Published

on

Spread the love

Motorists in Sharjah are being urged to plan after the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure confirmed a temporary road closure affecting traffic towards Dubai this weekend.

The short-term closure is part of ongoing infrastructure upgrades aimed at improving long-term traffic flow and road safety in the emirate.

Which roads are closing

According to the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure, the following roads will be closed:

  • Mosque Road
  • The distributor road at Al Badee intersection
  • Direction: Towards Dubai along Emirates Road

Closure Timing:

  • Start: 9pm, Saturday, February 21
  • End: 5am, Monday, February 23

The closure will last for two nights over the weekend.

Alternative route for drivers

Traffic will be diverted via:

  • Al Houshi Bridge
  • Along Mleiha Road, heading west

Motorists commuting between Sharjah and Dubai, particularly those using Emirates Road, should expect delays and allow extra travel time, especially during peak evening hours.

Authorities have confirmed that temporary road signs and diversion markers will be in place to guide drivers safely through the area.

Why is the road closure happening

The ministry stated the measure is necessary to facilitate development works and infrastructure upgrades in the area.

The goal is to:

  • Improve long-term traffic flow
  • Enhance road safety
  • Support Sharjah’s growing transport network

While short-term inconvenience is expected, officials say the upgrades will benefit daily commuters once completed.

Advice for motorists

If you regularly travel between Sharjah and Dubai this weekend:

  • Leave earlier than usual
    Follow diversion signage carefully
    Use navigation apps for live updates
    Avoid peak evening travel if possible

With thousands of commuters relying on Emirates Road daily, even temporary closures can significantly impact journey times.

Continue Reading

News

40,000 Iftar meals and safety leaflets: Dubai RTA’s Ramadan drive explained

Published

on

Spread the love

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has launched a Ramadan traffic awareness campaign, distributing 40,000 awareness leaflets alongside Iftar meals and Ramadan gifts across Dubai.

The initiative targets taxi drivers, delivery bike riders and construction workers, in cooperation with public and private sector partners. The campaign aims to promote safe driving behaviour during the holy month and reduce traffic accidents across the emirate.

RTA confirmed it is using both printed and digital awareness tools to reach a wide audience and reinforce road safety messages throughout Ramadan.

Delivery riders received safety leaflets integrated with Iftar meals, while construction site workers were provided meals accompanied by pedestrian safety awareness materials.

Ahmed Al Khzaimy, Director of Traffic at RTA’s Traffic and Roads Agency, said Ramadan presents an opportunity to intensify awareness initiatives aligned with Dubai’s Traffic Safety Strategy and its vision of becoming “The World Leader in Seamless and Sustainable Mobility.”

He urged drivers to embody the values of patience and tolerance during Ramadan, particularly while fasting, and warned against driving while fatigued or drowsy.

Safety tips for drivers

  • Avoid driving immediately after a heavy Iftar meal
  • Maintain a safe distance and remain patient
  • Plan journeys in advance
  • Avoid disputes with other drivers
  • Do not sleep inside a closed vehicle









Continue Reading

News

Emirates Road lane towards Sharjah to close from February 19

Published

on

Spread the love

The Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure has announced that a lane on Emirates Road heading from Dubai towards Sharjah at Bridge No. 7 will be closed starting Thursday, February 19.

In a statement shared on X, the ministry confirmed that the temporary closure is part of ongoing Emirates Road enhancement and development works. No reopening date has been announced.

Motorists travelling from Dubai to Sharjah are advised to use alternative routes and follow traffic instructions to minimise delays and ensure safety.

Alternative routes and traffic diversions

The ministry urged drivers to comply with safety regulations and road signage to maintain smooth traffic flow during the works.

Earlier in February, authorities also announced the closure of the main road at Al Badi intersection towards Dubai (Emirates Road). In addition, the distribution road was closed, with traffic diverted to Al Hooshi Bridge on Maliha Road (Westbound).

Commuters are encouraged to plan and allow additional travel time during peak hours.








Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/