Connect with us

News

20m visit Expo 2020 Dubai; celebrations to mark the milestone

Published

on

dubai expo 2022
Spread the love

Expo 2020 Dubai continues to be a magnet for all.

On Saturday, it reached another milestone recording 20 million visits since its opening in October last year. This was only five million away from its goal of attracting 25 million visits, the Expo News Service announced on March 19.

Around 70 per cent of guests who have visited the Expo hail from the UAE. Almost 2.8 million children under 18 visited the site.

The landmark milestone will be marked with celebrations on Saturday from 8.30pm. A special projection on Al Wasl Dome and spectacular fireworks will be part of the celebrations.

DUBAI, 14 November 2021. Children at the Monaco Pavilion, Expo 2020 Dubai. (Photo by Suneesh Sudhakaran/Expo 2020 Dubai)

Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, president, Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, chairman and chief executive of Emirates Airline and group and chairman of the Expo 2020 Dubai Higher Committee, said: “When we started this journey in 2013, and even before then as we prepared the bid for Expo 2020 Dubai, we had a dream to welcome the world to Dubai and the UAE for an unprecedented global gathering that would live long in hearts and minds.”

“That we have fulfilled this dream is already beyond doubt, but to achieve such a landmark number of visits is a true testament to how the world has responded to what we have worked so long and hard to create,” he reportedly said.

Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, the UAE Minister of Tolerance and Coexistence and commissioner-general of Expo 2020 Dubai, said: “In the spirit of optimism, millions of visitors and participants have come together, not only to witness and enjoy something truly remarkable but to also work together to drive positive social and environmental impact.”

He added: “Expo 2020 Dubai has demonstrated exceptional capability and agility in achieving a consistently high turnout amid continuing global challenges, and, as we begin our bittersweet countdown to the final curtain, we are proud of the collective efforts of all those involved.”

There’s a slew of events lined up at the Expo in the upcoming week. These include – Water Week – the 10th and final Expo 2020 Dubai Theme Week – running from March 20-26. The Week is part of the Programme for People and Planet.

News

Sharjah road closure this weekend: Emirates Road diversion announced

Published

on

Spread the love

Motorists in Sharjah are being urged to plan after the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure confirmed a temporary road closure affecting traffic towards Dubai this weekend.

The short-term closure is part of ongoing infrastructure upgrades aimed at improving long-term traffic flow and road safety in the emirate.

Which roads are closing

According to the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure, the following roads will be closed:

  • Mosque Road
  • The distributor road at Al Badee intersection
  • Direction: Towards Dubai along Emirates Road

Closure Timing:

  • Start: 9pm, Saturday, February 21
  • End: 5am, Monday, February 23

The closure will last for two nights over the weekend.

Alternative route for drivers

Traffic will be diverted via:

  • Al Houshi Bridge
  • Along Mleiha Road, heading west

Motorists commuting between Sharjah and Dubai, particularly those using Emirates Road, should expect delays and allow extra travel time, especially during peak evening hours.

Authorities have confirmed that temporary road signs and diversion markers will be in place to guide drivers safely through the area.

Why is the road closure happening

The ministry stated the measure is necessary to facilitate development works and infrastructure upgrades in the area.

The goal is to:

  • Improve long-term traffic flow
  • Enhance road safety
  • Support Sharjah’s growing transport network

While short-term inconvenience is expected, officials say the upgrades will benefit daily commuters once completed.

Advice for motorists

If you regularly travel between Sharjah and Dubai this weekend:

  • Leave earlier than usual
    Follow diversion signage carefully
    Use navigation apps for live updates
    Avoid peak evening travel if possible

With thousands of commuters relying on Emirates Road daily, even temporary closures can significantly impact journey times.

Continue Reading

News

40,000 Iftar meals and safety leaflets: Dubai RTA’s Ramadan drive explained

Published

on

Spread the love

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has launched a Ramadan traffic awareness campaign, distributing 40,000 awareness leaflets alongside Iftar meals and Ramadan gifts across Dubai.

The initiative targets taxi drivers, delivery bike riders and construction workers, in cooperation with public and private sector partners. The campaign aims to promote safe driving behaviour during the holy month and reduce traffic accidents across the emirate.

RTA confirmed it is using both printed and digital awareness tools to reach a wide audience and reinforce road safety messages throughout Ramadan.

Delivery riders received safety leaflets integrated with Iftar meals, while construction site workers were provided meals accompanied by pedestrian safety awareness materials.

Ahmed Al Khzaimy, Director of Traffic at RTA’s Traffic and Roads Agency, said Ramadan presents an opportunity to intensify awareness initiatives aligned with Dubai’s Traffic Safety Strategy and its vision of becoming “The World Leader in Seamless and Sustainable Mobility.”

He urged drivers to embody the values of patience and tolerance during Ramadan, particularly while fasting, and warned against driving while fatigued or drowsy.

Safety tips for drivers

  • Avoid driving immediately after a heavy Iftar meal
  • Maintain a safe distance and remain patient
  • Plan journeys in advance
  • Avoid disputes with other drivers
  • Do not sleep inside a closed vehicle









Continue Reading

News

Emirates Road lane towards Sharjah to close from February 19

Published

on

Spread the love

The Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure has announced that a lane on Emirates Road heading from Dubai towards Sharjah at Bridge No. 7 will be closed starting Thursday, February 19.

In a statement shared on X, the ministry confirmed that the temporary closure is part of ongoing Emirates Road enhancement and development works. No reopening date has been announced.

Motorists travelling from Dubai to Sharjah are advised to use alternative routes and follow traffic instructions to minimise delays and ensure safety.

Alternative routes and traffic diversions

The ministry urged drivers to comply with safety regulations and road signage to maintain smooth traffic flow during the works.

Earlier in February, authorities also announced the closure of the main road at Al Badi intersection towards Dubai (Emirates Road). In addition, the distribution road was closed, with traffic diverted to Al Hooshi Bridge on Maliha Road (Westbound).

Commuters are encouraged to plan and allow additional travel time during peak hours.








Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/