Connect with us

News

Daredevil pilot lands plane on Burj Al Arab helipad with ‘Bullseye’ stunt

Published

on

Spread the love

Headline staff

Another breathtaking moment has been added to the list of feats achieved at Burj Al Arab in Dubai when a pilot achieved a perfect drop landing on the iconic hotel’s famous helipad.

Polish pilot Luke Czepiela, who has also done many difficult types of flying feats, termed it a “bulls-eye landing” in the prevailing weather conditions and the given challenges.
At 6.58am on March 14, the pilot became “the first person in history to land a plane on the helipad” at 212 metres of height.

Ranking his other achievements in detail, Czepiela went on to rate his latest feat on a stellar resume as “11 out of 10”. A former Red Bull Air Race Challenger Class World Champion, he had just 27 metres of round space to bring his Cub Crafters STOL (short take-off and landing) plane to a stop from a landing speed of 43km/h. He brought it to a halt in just 20.76 metres from touchdown on his third attempt.

Although the aircraft is designed for abrupt landings in typical conditions, landing a plane on a platform raised 212 metres in the air, next to a 56-storey building, and with no visual cues to guide him made Czepiela’s historic landing an extraordinary feat.

Czepiela had been preparing for this historic moment since 2021, having completed 650 test landings at ground level in Poland, the US, and Dubai to build his confidence in landing on the helipad without any visual references.

“Normally, when approaching a runway, I can easily see how high above it I am and control the approach path. But today, the ground was 212 metres below, and the helipad disappeared over the nose of the plane, reducing my periphery. As my last few references disappeared, I had to rely on my practice and instincts to bring the plane to a stop before running out of space,” he said.

The world’s only seven-star Burj Al Arab hotel has a history of staging events, mostly around sports, to raise the adrenaline levels of viewers and visitors ever since Tiger Woods hit a routine tee shot from the green pad in 2004.

In 2005, two of tennis’ biggest legends, Roger Federer and Andre Agassi, played a match on a makeshift court on the landing area.

In 2013, former Formula 1 driver David Coulthard performed doughnuts to celebrate Red Bull Racing winning the Formula One Drivers’ and Constructors’ championships that season.

In 2019, professional BMX rider Kriss Kyle rode his bike off the edge of a helicopter and landed on the helipad in a few breathtaking moments.

News

Big move for UAE cricket: Abu Dhabi takes over full ownership of T10 league

Published

on

Spread the love

Abu Dhabi Cricket & Sports Hub (ADCSH) has officially taken majority ownership and commercial control of the Abu Dhabi T10, marking one of the biggest changes yet for cricket’s fastest-growing format.

The move transforms the tournament into a fully Abu Dhabi-owned and managed sporting property, backed by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC) and supported by the Emirates Cricket Board.

A major new chapter for T10 cricket

Officials say the transition is designed to strengthen governance, attract bigger global audiences and position Abu Dhabi as the long-term home of T10 cricket.

The format, known for its fast-paced 10-over matches and international star power, has quickly built a global following thanks to its shorter games, entertainment-focused style and television-friendly format.

“This marks a new start for a tournament that has already demonstrated global relevance,” said Aref Al Awani, Chairman of the Board, ADCSH and General Secretary, ADSC.

Huge global numbers already

According to organisers, the 2025 edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 generated:

  • $512 million in media value
  • 687 million social media impressions globally

The tournament has also become known for attracting some of the world’s biggest cricket names and dramatic last-over finishes.

2026 tournament dates confirmed

The next edition of the Abu Dhabi T10 will run from:

  • November 7 to November 20, 2026
  • Hosted at Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi

The 2026 season will be the first full tournament under the new ownership structure.

Officials also confirmed that:

  • Eight franchises and ownership groups will be invited to participate
  • A new “Invitation To Tender” process will open for franchise partnerships
  • More details will be announced soon

Bigger ambitions beyond cricket

For Abu Dhabi, the move is about far more than sport.

Leaders say the revamped tournament will help support:

  • Tourism growth
  • International broadcasting opportunities
  • Community sports development
  • Abu Dhabi’s growing reputation as a global sports destination

Shaji Ul Mulk, Chairman of Mulk International, who helped launch the T10 concept, called the transition “an important step” for the future of the format.

Meanwhile, Matt Boucher, who has also been confirmed as the new CEO of the Abu Dhabi T10, said the focus now shifts toward improving governance, player structures and commercial growth to take the event “to the highest summit possible.”

“The Abu Dhabi T10 was born out of Shaji’s bold ambition and has grown into one of the world’s coolest cricket properties,” said Boucher.

As franchise discussions begin under the new structure, Abu Dhabi is making one thing clear: T10 cricket is no longer just a tournament, it is becoming a major long-term sporting asset for the UAE.

Continue Reading

News

First look at Etihad Rail’s first passenger station with VIP lounges and high-speed Wi-Fi

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE’s long-awaited passenger rail network has taken another major step forward after Etihad Rail confirmed the completion of its first passenger station in Fujairah ahead of operations launching later this year.

Located in the Madinat Al Hilal area, the new station spans more than 51,900 square metres and is expected to become a key transport hub linking Fujairah with Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

A new way to travel across the UAE

Officials say the launch of passenger rail services could significantly reshape travel between emirates, offering faster and more comfortable journeys while reducing pressure on roads.

Travel at 200km/h

  • Travel time between Fujairah and Abu Dhabi will take around 105 minutes
  • Trains will reach speeds of up to 200km/h
  • Each train will accommodate up to 400 passengers

The first operational phase is expected to launch simultaneously across routes connecting Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah.

Strategically located near key landmarks

The new station sits close to several major destinations in Fujairah, including:

  • Fujairah International Airport — approximately 12 minutes away
  • Umbrella Beach Corniche — around six minutes away
  • Sakamkam Fort — roughly five minutes away

Officials believe the railway connection will help boost tourism, investment and economic activity across the emirate.

VIP lounges, Wi-Fi and dining onboard

The passenger experience is also expected to feel far more modern than traditional regional rail travel.

Station and trains will include:

  • Retail areas
  • VIP lounges
  • High-speed Wi-Fi
  • Dining carriages
  • Automated payment machines
  • Passenger service offices
  • Modern waiting areas and digital signage

Built with strong local contribution

Etihad Rail also revealed that around 70 per cent of materials used across the national railway network were sourced locally through 97 UAE suppliers, highlighting the project’s broader economic impact.

While official schedules and ticketing details are still expected to be announced closer to the launch date, the completion of Fujairah Passenger Station is a major step towards rail travel in the UAE.

Continue Reading

Health

How the UAE is preparing for potential Ebola and health emergencies

Published

on

Spread the love

Authorities in the UAE have reaffirmed the country’s readiness to respond to any emerging health developments, including situations linked to Ebola, as officials reviewed national preparedness systems and precautionary measures already in place.

The update came during a high-level meeting chaired by Ahmed Ali Al Sayegh under the supervision of the National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority alongside the Ministry of Health and Prevention and strategic partners.

Focus on preparedness and monitoring

Officials reviewed:

  • The latest developments related to Ebola
  • The UAE’s national surveillance systems
  • Existing precautionary health measures
  • Coordination between local and international authorities

Authorities stressed that the UAE’s health monitoring and emergency response systems are continuously reviewed and updated in line with international standards and global best practices.

Hospitals and medical teams remain ready

NCEMA and MoHAP said precautionary monitoring measures continue to be implemented across the country as part of the UAE’s proactive public health strategy.

They added that healthcare facilities and medical teams remain fully prepared to respond efficiently to any health developments if required.

The UAE has consistently invested in strengthening:

  • Communicable disease response systems
  • Emergency preparedness plans
  • Integrated healthcare coordination
  • Public health awareness initiatives

Authorities urge residents to rely on official information

Officials also called on the public to avoid sharing unverified information online, stressing the importance of relying only on official sources for updates related to public health matters.

The authorities said community awareness and responsible information sharing remain essential components in protecting public health and preventing unnecessary panic.

While no emergency has been announced, the meeting reflects the UAE’s ongoing approach of preparing early, monitoring developments closely and maintaining readiness for a wide range of public health scenarios.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/