Connect with us

News

Quick delivery takes toll: 22 killed in accidents involving bikes in Dubai

Published

on

Spread the love

You order your meal online and want it at your doorstep immediately. The rush to get the meal could take a toll on the delivery man.

The boom in e-commerce and delivery businesses has left the delivery riders under enormous pressure. As the orders increase, the pressure mounts to deliver on time. And this causes accidents and road fatalities.

Dubai Police data revealed that 22 people were killed and 253 injured in road accidents involving bikes last year. In the first two months of the year, the police’s traffic department recorded 46 accidents that claimed three lives and left 47 injured.

Delivery service companies have been asked to educate riders about the importance of complying with traffic safety rules.

The Abu Dhabi Police said 162 accidents involving riders took place in 2019, which went up to 170 in 2020 and increased to 210 in 2021. Road fatalities rose from nine in 2019 to 13 in 2020.

Sumaya Saeed Al Neyadi, road safety section head at the Integrated Transport Centre (ITC), said: “In most cases, safety issues can be traced back to the riders and their driving behaviour. Delivery riders were spotted overtaking cars, not wearing proper protective equipment, speeding, working long hours resulting in fatigue and so on.”
A video shared by the ITC shows the violations committed.

Lt-Col Mohammed Alai Al Naqbi, director of the Traffic and Patrols Department at the Sharjah Police, reportedly said the most common traffic violation committed by motorcyclists was lane indiscipline.

Many programmes are being launched to teach the delivery riders to stick to traffic rules and some of them are also being rewarded for following the rules.

News

UAE official denies reports of worker visa cancellations amid regional tensions

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE has rejected reports claiming it is cancelling workers’ residency visas or providing financial facilities to Iran, calling the claims false and part of what it described as a wider media campaign.

Dr Anwar Mohammed Gargash, Diplomatic Adviser to the UAE President, said on Wednesday that the country remains focused on managing regional developments and preparing for the next phase rather than being distracted by misinformation.

In a post on X, Gargash said some platforms were circulating what he described as false information about the UAE while authorities continued to focus on developments on the ground.

He specifically dismissed rumours about the cancellation of workers’ residency visas and alleged financial support for Iran, saying the claims were incorrect.

Gargash said the UAE’s response to such reports would be through “work and achievements on the ground”, arguing that verifiable facts and tangible results were stronger than rumours.

His comments come amid heightened regional tensions and a wave of unverified claims circulating online. The UAE official urged attention to facts and concrete developments rather than what he described as media noise.


Continue Reading

News

New Dubai bridge linking Emirates Road to Al Qudra Road now open

Published

on

Spread the love

Motorists can now use a new bridge connecting Emirates Road to Al Qudra Road, as Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) continues work to improve traffic movement along the corridor.

The newly opened bridge provides a direct connection for vehicles travelling from Emirates Road towards Al Qudra Road, helping improve access to the surrounding areas and ease traffic movement.

The opening is part of ongoing enhancement works on Al Qudra Road aimed at improving the efficiency of Dubai’s road network and supporting growing traffic demand.

The RTA said the latest improvement is expected to help reduce congestion and provide smoother, more efficient journeys for motorists.

Further road development works along the Al Qudra corridor are continuing as part of Dubai’s wider efforts to strengthen connectivity and keep pace with the emirate’s urban expansion.


Continue Reading

News

UAE motorists warned of road closures in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah this week

Published

on

Spread the love

Motorists in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah should plan this week, with authorities announcing temporary road closures for maintenance and infrastructure works.

Abu Dhabi: E22 to close overnight

Abu Dhabi Mobility will close the E22 Abu Dhabi–Al Ain Road towards Abu Dhabi on the nights of August 19, 20 and 21.

The closure will be in effect from midnight until 6am each night.

Drivers are advised to plan their journeys around the overnight closure and follow traffic signs and approved diversions in the affected area.

Sharjah: Three-day road closure

Meanwhile, Sharjah Roads and Transport Authority has announced a three-day closure on a section of road running from Sheikh Mohammed bin Sultan Bu Alian Square to Saeed bin Obaid Al-Jarwan Square, on the Al-Jazat side.

The closure will run from Wednesday to Friday as authorities carry out road maintenance and infrastructure development works.

Motorists have been advised to use approved alternative routes, follow diversion signs and comply with traffic safety instructions.

Drivers travelling through either emirate are encouraged to allow extra time for their journeys and check road conditions before setting out.


Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/