Connect with us

News

Nadal defeats Ruud for 14th French Open title

Published

on

Rafael Nadal pulled away in the French Open final on Sunday to capture his historic 14th championship at Roland Garros and 22nd Grand Slam title overall, adding to two records he already owned. Nadal beat Casper Ruud 6-3, 6-3, 6-0 in a victory that came two days after his 36th birthday, making him the oldest title winner in the history of the clay-court tournament.

Ruud led 3-1 in the second set, a deficit that spurred Nadal to raise his level — he took the last 11 games.The Spaniard’s first triumph in Paris came in 2005 at age 19. No man or woman ever has won the singles trophy at any major event more than his 14 in Paris. And no man has won more Grand Slam titles than Nadal. He now is two ahead of rivals Roger Federer, who hasn’t played in almost a year after a series of knee operations, and Novak Djokovic, who missed the Australian Open in January because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and lost to Nadal at Roland Garros.

Nadal improved to 14-0 in finals at Roland Garros and 112-3 overall at his favorite tournament. For all that he has accomplished already, Nadal now has done something he never managed previously. He is halfway to a calendar-year Grand Slam thanks to titles at the Australian Open and French Open in the same season.
Ruud is a 23-year-old from Norway who was participating in a Grand Slam final for the first time. He’d never even played in a major quarterfinal until now.He considers Nadal his idol. He recalls watching all of Nadal’s past finals in Paris on TV. He has trained at Nadal’s tennis academy in Mallorca.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Weather warning subsides as Dubai airports returns to normalcy

Published

on

By

The low-pressure system that brought the rain and sandstorm to the UAE has weakened significantly and moved south, the National Centre of Meteorology (NCM) said.

NCM shared the latest findings during the daily coordination meetings being held between all the authorities concerned with dealing in mitigating the effects of weather conditions.

The meetings are attended by the National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority (NCEMA), Ministry of Interior (MoI), Ministry of Defence, Police Directorates across all Emirates, NCM, and the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure (MoEI).

There will still be a chance of light to moderate rainfall on Monday, with the chance of heavier rain across the Eastern and Northern parts of the country, in addition to the city of Al Ain and Al Dhafra region, with the continuation of moderate southeast dusty winds.

The authorities confirmed their full preparedness for all possible scenarios and changes during the meeting, confirming the readiness of all plans and teams.

Concerned authorities have also confirmed that new announcements of all developments related to the weather situation will be shared through all official platforms, calling on the public to obtain information from the official platforms and to deter from spreading rumours.

Meanwhile, Dubai Airports have confirmed that operations at the Dubai International Airport are currently recovering to normal following the weather delays over the past two days.

“Between Sunday afternoon and the early hours of Monday, a total of 44 flights were cancelled while 12 flights that were diverted to Dubai World Central (DWC) and other neighbouring airports have since returned back to DXB or their respective base,” said a Dubai Airports spokesperson.

“There have been no weather-related flight cancellations or diversions since. We are working closely with airlines and other service partners to restore normal operations at the earliest and to ensure that inconvenience to our customers is minimised.”

Emirates Airline and Flydubai have advised customers to check their websites for the latest flight updates before heading to the airport.

Continue Reading

Middle East

Author Salman Rushdie attacked in US after threats for 34 years

Published

on

By

Salman Rushdie was stabbed multiple times in the neck. The attacker has been nabbed.

Author Salman Rushdie was stabbed in the neck at an event in a remote New York district, US, on Friday. The attacker has been detained.

The 75-year-old author’s writings have in the past led to threats. Even as he was airlifted to the hospital, social media was abuzz with sympathisers and hatred both expressing their thoughts.

Governor Kathy Hochul said he’s alive and “getting the care he needs”. The attacker is in custody and his identity will be released later, she said.

Social media posts showed people rushing to Mr Rushdie’s aid after a man with “black clothes and a black mask” jumped onto the stage and attacked him at Chautauqua Institution, about 100 km from the city. The moderator of the talk suffered minor head injuries in the attack. Mr Rushdie fell to the floor immediately after the attack, and the attacker was restrained. The attack lasted 20 seconds.

Moderator Henry Reese and Mr Rushdie were to discuss “the US as asylum for writers and other artists in exile and as a home for freedom of creative expression”. The attack happened around 11 am local time (8.30 pm IST) as Mr Rushdie was being introduced. There were around 2,500 people in the audience.

The Chautauqua Institution, where the attack took place, is located in a rural part of New York. It is known for its summertime lecture series. Mr Rushdie has spoken there before.

A British citizen of Indian origin — living in the US for the past 20 years — Mr Rushdie, 75, has faced threats for decades over his 1988 book, The Satanic Verses, which is allegedly blasphemous towards Islam. A reward was put on his head by the Iranian top leader, though by 1998 the Iranian government said it won’t enforce that ‘fatwa’ or edict. It wasn’t clear if the attack is linked to that, although Twitterati haters started rejoicing (sic) with references to the past.

After the controversy over The Satanic Verses, Mr Rushdie remained out of the public eye, mostly living under government protection in the UK. But he produced several novels throughout the 1990s, and continues to criticise religious fundamentalism.

His first novel came out in 1975, but one of his seminal works is about modern India, Midnight’s Children (1981), for which he won the Booker Prize.

In 2012, after an Iranian religious outfit “renewed” the bounty on him, he dismissed that threat, saying there was “no evidence” of people being interested in the reward, said the AP report. He even published a memoir, Joseph Anton, about life after the fatwa. The title came from a pseudonym he had used while in hiding.

Continue Reading

News

Expect inclement weather in Abu Dhabi next week

Published

on

By

Abu Dhabi is expected to experience fluctuating weather from Sunday to Thursday as cumulus clouds form with mild to heavy rains and a significant drop in temperatures.

Therefore, the public is advised to drive with caution and adhere to safety guidelines and speed limits.

When it rains, remain vigilant and stay away from rain streams, valleys and rain water pools.

Avoid going to the beach and keep following weather forecasts via official channels only.

 

ALSO READ:

Mercury to cross 50°C mark

Sharjah steps up rescue efforts after flash floods

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2021 HEADLINE. All rights reserved