Liverpool cruised into the fifth round of the FA Cup with a 5-2 rout of Championship Norwich City on Sunday, to kick off Juergen Klopp’s long goodbye at Anfield, while crowd trouble marred Wolverhampton Wanderers’ 2-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion.
Twelve-time winners Manchester United gave up a two-goal lead before escaping Rodney Parade with a 4-2 victory over fourth-tier Welsh side Newport County.
Liverpool’s beloved manager announced on Friday that he would leave the Merseyside team at the end of this season, his ninth at the helm.
“I get it, it’s very emotional,” Klopp told the BBC. “I just have to make sure that I don’t get on that side of it. (And) in the games, we need to be warriors and not celebrate the old man on the side lines.
“First match after the news and we can get used to it,” he added.
The eight-time FA Cup winners had goals from Curtis Jones, Darwin Nunez, Diogo Jota, Virgil van Dijk and Ryan Gravenberch.
Liverpool will next play either Watford or Southampton after that fourth-round game earlier on Sunday ended in a 1-1 draw thanks to a last-gasp goal by Southampton’s Stuart Armstrong to force a replay.
“It was a perfect game,” Jones told ITV. “There were loads of goals scored and we didn’t have any injuries.
“Definitely (can use Klopp’s departure as motivation),” he added. “We had our goals at the start of the season and now the news is out, we’ll be giving it more.”
Ben Gibson and Borja Sainz scored for Norwich City, who are ninth in the Championship, 28 spots below Premier League leaders Liverpool in England’s football pyramid.
Antony scored in the 68th-minute for last year’s FA Cup runners-up Manchester United after Newport — ranked 76 places below United in England’s football pyramid — had clawed their way back from two goals down.
“We controlled the game, maybe we went a little bit slower,” United manager Erik ten Hag told the BBC. “We had the chance to go 3-0. (Alejandro) Garnacho hit the crossbar. (Newport) had nothing, really nothing and then they scored a goal.”
Bruno Fernandes, 18-year-old Kobbie Mainoo and Rasmus Hojlund also scored for United, who conceded two goals in an FA Cup match against a fourth-tier side for the first time since 1970 (against Northampton Town).
“Obviously it was not the result that we wanted, we got the win that we wanted but the result was not the perfect one for us. We didn’t want to concede goals,” United captain Fernandes said.
“We know that to make the season look not as bad as it has been, we have to try to win this trophy … we know how much the FA Cup means for our fans, our club, for the country and it’s important for us too. We want to get into the final and win.”
Wolves’ victory in their fourth-round match at West Brom was interrupted for nearly 40 minutes due to clashes involving the two sides’ supporters.
Wolves were leading 2-0 when projectiles were hurled on to one end of the pitch in the 82nd minute, sparking a brawl in a corner at The Hawthorns.
Matheus Cunha and Pedro Neto scored for Wolves, whose manager Gary O’Neil called the disturbances “really disappointing”.
“Up until that point it was a good tie with good atmosphere,” O’Neil told ITV. “How people behave at football is really important and we need to look at that, make sure everyone is safe. When we came back out the atmosphere had gone, it was really sad to see.”
The Football Association has launched an investigation into the disturbance that led to two arrests, calling it “completely unacceptable.”
The delay prompted officials to push back the draw for the FA Cup fifth round — originally scheduled for just before the Liverpool-Norwich 1430 GMT kickoff — to halftime of that game.
The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been thrown into uncertainty after the Pakistan government announced that its national cricket team will boycott its league-stage match against India, scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.
The announcement was made on Sunday via an official government post on X, granting approval for Pakistan to participate in the tournament but explicitly instructing the team not to take the field against India. No reason was cited for the decision.
ICC Issues Strong Warning
The International Cricket Council (ICC) reacted sharply, warning that selective participation threatens the integrity of global tournaments and could have long-term consequences for Pakistan cricket.
In a statement, the ICC said it “expects the PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution that protects the interests of all stakeholders,” while stressing that the decision could harm the global cricket ecosystem.
“Selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms,” the ICC said, adding that it is still awaiting formal communication from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
An important fixture
The India–Pakistan fixture is the most commercially valuable match of ICC tournaments, accounting for a significant share of global broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. If the match is forfeited:
Pakistan will lose two group-stage points
Its net run rate will be negatively impacted
Broadcasters and sponsors could seek compensation
Under ICC Playing Conditions, India must be present at the venue at the time of the toss for the match to be officially forfeited in their favour.
PCB Revenue and PSL at Risk
Despite financial struggles, the PCB currently receives $34.5 million annually from the ICC, the fourth-highest share among member boards, largely driven by India–Pakistan matches.
If compensation is deducted from this revenue, the PCB could lose up to 70–80% of its annual ICC earnings. The ICC is also reportedly considering denying No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for overseas players seeking to participate in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).
There is further concern that major cricket boards such as England and Australia could reconsider bilateral series with Pakistan.
Background to the Crisis
Tensions escalated after the ICC replaced Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament following Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India due to security concerns. PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accused the ICC of double standards and warned that Pakistan’s participation would ultimately depend on government approval.
Pakistan are placed in Group A alongside India, USA, Namibia and the Netherlands, with matches scheduled in Sri Lanka, a co-host of the tournament with India. Pakistan are due to play:
Netherlands on February 7
USA on February 10
Namibia on February 18
The India match now remains in serious doubt.
What Happens Next
The ICC has reiterated that its priority is the successful delivery of the T20 World Cup and has urged the PCB to consider the broader impact on fans, players and the future of Pakistan cricket.
With millions of viewers worldwide and enormous commercial stakes involved, the cricketing world is watching closely as the situation continues to unfold.
The UAE Men’s National Cricket Team is heading into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 with a major boost, as STARTRADER has been announced as its Official Partner for the global tournament.
The renewed partnership means STARTRADER’s branding will feature on the official UAE team jerseys throughout the World Cup, which kicks off on February 7, 2026, across India and Sri Lanka.
The agreement was signed in Dubai on Wednesday, January 14, in the presence of senior officials from both organisations, including Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad, ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas, STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten, and UAE Men’s Captain Muhammad Waseem.
STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten said the collaboration builds on the company’s earlier sponsorship of the UAE team during the Asia Cup, but with an even stronger commitment this time around.
“We know that cricket has a way of reminding us what commitment, trust and growth can achieve,” Karsten said.
“Continuing this partnership reflects our belief in long-term support for communities and in the human spirit driving both the game and the markets.”
He added that the partnership mirrors STARTRADER’s core values, where trust in strategy and teamwork plays a vital role in achieving sustainable growth, whether on the pitch or in global markets.
STARTRADER is regulated by five international authorities, including the SCA, ASIC, FSCA, FSA and FSC, reinforcing its focus on transparency, trust and long-term growth for its clients.
Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad welcomed the renewed partnership, describing it as a relationship that goes beyond sport.
“We are delighted to welcome STARTRADER as our Official Partner for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said.
“This partnership reflects shared values of discipline, focus and resilience, and aligns perfectly with our vision as the UAE team continues to perform on the world stage.”
Dubai is about to serve up something big on the global sports stage. The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced Dubai as the permanent opening destination of its brand-new international championship, the Beach World Series, which will launch for the first time in November 2026.
The announcement was made during the World Sports Summit, following the signing of a five-year strategic partnership between the Dubai Sports Council and FIVB, a move that further cements Dubai’s reputation as a leading host of major global sporting events.
A new model for global sport
Under the agreement, Dubai will become the first city in the world to host a permanent opening stop of the Beach World Series, setting a new benchmark for global championships that combine elite competition with entertainment, culture, and fan engagement.
The series introduces an innovative format that blends high-level beach volleyball with music, interactive experiences, and a vibrant beach atmosphere, offering something beyond traditional sporting events.
The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of senior officials from the Dubai Sports Council, with signatures from Guido Betti, Chief Business Officer of Volleyball World, and Eisa Sharif, Director of the Sports Events Department at the Dubai Sports Council.
Ten global destinations
The Beach World Series will span 10 international destinations, each bringing its own identity and local flavour to the competition. Dubai’s role as the opening city positions it at the heart of this global journey, showcasing beach volleyball as both an elite sport and a shared cultural experience.
Additional host cities are expected to be announced in the coming months as the Beach World Series expands across globally recognised sports and entertainment hubs.