Connect with us

Sports

Niners rally to beat Lions, set up Super Bowl showdown with Chiefs – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

The Kansas City Chiefs beat the Baltimore Ravens to claim the AFC Championship on Sunday and earn a fourth trip to the Super Bowl in five years where they will face the San Francisco 49ers, who brought the Detroit Lions’ storybook playoff run to an end.

The Lions had appeared headed to their first Super Bowl appearance after building a 24-7 half-time lead in the NFC title clash in San Francisco.

But the 49ers needed just eight minutes in a stunning third-quarter comeback to erase a 17-point deficit before grinding out a 34-31 win.

Earlier in Baltimore, reigning Super Bowl champion Kansas City scored all its points in the first half and then held off the Ravens 17-10.

The Chiefs head to the Feb. 11 Super Bowl in Las Vegas where they will bid to become the first team to hoist back-to-back Lombardi trophies since Tom Brady led the New England Patriots in 2004 and 2005.

The AFC Championship game was highlighted by a marquee matchup at quarterback between the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes, the twice, and reigning, NFL Most Valuable Player, and the Ravens’ Lamar Jackson, who claimed the honour in 2019 and is favoured to add another for his work this season.

Mahomes completed 30 passes for 241 yards and one touchdown, that to Travis Kelce in the first quarter that had pop star girlfriend Taylor Swift jumping up and down in jubilation in a private box at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium.

The first Super Bowl to be held in Las Vegas is already expected to be one of the splashiest ever but the buzz around America’s biggest football party is sure to be dialled up a few notches with Swift and her legion of fans known as ‘Swifties’ onboard.

“It’s been a heck of a year, we’re not done yet,” said Mahomes. “We’ve been underdogs the last few games but we never feel like underdogs.

“We’ve got a lot of guys on this team that know how to win.

“When the playoffs came around we were going to make it happen and now we’re in the Super Bowl the job’s not done.”

More from Sports

[ad_2]

Source link

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: The consequences Pakistan could face for boycotting the India match 

Published

on

Spread the love

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been thrown into uncertainty after the Pakistan government announced that its national cricket team will boycott its league-stage match against India, scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.

The announcement was made on Sunday via an official government post on X, granting approval for Pakistan to participate in the tournament but explicitly instructing the team not to take the field against India. No reason was cited for the decision.

ICC Issues Strong Warning

The International Cricket Council (ICC) reacted sharply, warning that selective participation threatens the integrity of global tournaments and could have long-term consequences for Pakistan cricket.

In a statement, the ICC said it “expects the PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution that protects the interests of all stakeholders,” while stressing that the decision could harm the global cricket ecosystem.

“Selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms,” the ICC said, adding that it is still awaiting formal communication from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

An important fixture

The India–Pakistan fixture is the most commercially valuable match of ICC tournaments, accounting for a significant share of global broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. If the match is forfeited:

  • Pakistan will lose two group-stage points
  • Its net run rate will be negatively impacted
  • Broadcasters and sponsors could seek compensation

Under ICC Playing Conditions, India must be present at the venue at the time of the toss for the match to be officially forfeited in their favour.

PCB Revenue and PSL at Risk

Despite financial struggles, the PCB currently receives $34.5 million annually from the ICC,  the fourth-highest share among member boards, largely driven by India–Pakistan matches.

If compensation is deducted from this revenue, the PCB could lose up to 70–80% of its annual ICC earnings. The ICC is also reportedly considering denying No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for overseas players seeking to participate in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

There is further concern that major cricket boards such as England and Australia could reconsider bilateral series with Pakistan.

Background to the Crisis

Tensions escalated after the ICC replaced Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament following Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India due to security concerns. PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accused the ICC of double standards and warned that Pakistan’s participation would ultimately depend on government approval.

Pakistan are placed in Group A alongside India, USA, Namibia and the Netherlands, with matches scheduled in Sri Lanka, a co-host of the tournament with India. Pakistan are due to play:

  • Netherlands on February 7
  • USA on February 10
  • Namibia on February 18

The India match now remains in serious doubt.

What Happens Next

The ICC has reiterated that its priority is the successful delivery of the T20 World Cup and has urged the PCB to consider the broader impact on fans, players and the future of Pakistan cricket.

With millions of viewers worldwide and enormous commercial stakes involved, the cricketing world is watching closely as the situation continues to unfold.

– Inputs from ESPN, ICC





Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: STARTRADER named official partner of UAE national cricket team 

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE Men’s National Cricket Team is heading into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 with a major boost, as STARTRADER has been announced as its Official Partner for the global tournament.

The renewed partnership means STARTRADER’s branding will feature on the official UAE team jerseys throughout the World Cup, which kicks off on February 7, 2026, across India and Sri Lanka.

The agreement was signed in Dubai on Wednesday, January 14, in the presence of senior officials from both organisations, including Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad, ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas, STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten, and UAE Men’s Captain Muhammad Waseem.

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten said the collaboration builds on the company’s earlier sponsorship of the UAE team during the Asia Cup, but with an even stronger commitment this time around.

“We know that cricket has a way of reminding us what commitment, trust and growth can achieve,” Karsten said.

“Continuing this partnership reflects our belief in long-term support for communities and in the human spirit driving both the game and the markets.”

He added that the partnership mirrors STARTRADER’s core values, where trust in strategy and teamwork plays a vital role in achieving sustainable growth, whether on the pitch or in global markets.

STARTRADER is regulated by five international authorities, including the SCA, ASIC, FSCA, FSA and FSC, reinforcing its focus on transparency, trust and long-term growth for its clients.

Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad welcomed the renewed partnership, describing it as a relationship that goes beyond sport.

“We are delighted to welcome STARTRADER as our Official Partner for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said. 

“This partnership reflects shared values of discipline, focus and resilience, and aligns perfectly with our vision as the UAE team continues to perform on the world stage.”


Continue Reading

Sports

Dubai named permanent opening city for new global beach volleyball series

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai is about to serve up something big on the global sports stage. The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced Dubai as the permanent opening destination of its brand-new international championship, the Beach World Series, which will launch for the first time in November 2026.

The announcement was made during the World Sports Summit, following the signing of a five-year strategic partnership between the Dubai Sports Council and FIVB, a move that further cements Dubai’s reputation as a leading host of major global sporting events.

A new model for global sport

Under the agreement, Dubai will become the first city in the world to host a permanent opening stop of the Beach World Series, setting a new benchmark for global championships that combine elite competition with entertainment, culture, and fan engagement.

The series introduces an innovative format that blends high-level beach volleyball with music, interactive experiences, and a vibrant beach atmosphere, offering something beyond traditional sporting events.

The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of senior officials from the Dubai Sports Council, with signatures from Guido Betti, Chief Business Officer of Volleyball World, and Eisa Sharif, Director of the Sports Events Department at the Dubai Sports Council.

Ten global destinations

The Beach World Series will span 10 international destinations, each bringing its own identity and local flavour to the competition. Dubai’s role as the opening city positions it at the heart of this global journey, showcasing beach volleyball as both an elite sport and a shared cultural experience.

Additional host cities are expected to be announced in the coming months as the Beach World Series expands across globally recognised sports and entertainment hubs.


Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/