Connect with us

News

Nick Kyrgios Fires Back at Mahut in Explosive Tennis Comeback

Published

on

Spread the love

Adapted from an exclusive with Telecom Asia Sports

Abu Dhabi, December 20, 2024 – Nick Kyrgios is back, and he’s not holding back. After a hard fought defeat in his match against Andrey Rublev at the World Tennis League in Abu Dhabi, the Australian tennis star hit out at former doubles World No. 1 Nicolas Mahut amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Kyrgios’ comments about Jannik Sinner, the current world No. 1.

The drama began after Kyrgios, never one to mince words, expressed his desire to face Sinner at the upcoming Australian Open, vowing to turn the crowd against the Italian. Speaking on the Nothing Major podcast, Kyrgios said: “Let’s be honest, I just want to go out there and I really want to play Sinner. If I played him in the Australian Open, I’d get every person in the crowd to get on him. It would turn into an absolute riot. All respect would go out the window, and I would just do anything to win.”

Kyrgios’ comments came in the wake of Sinner’s doping controversy earlier this year, where the Italian tested positive for the banned substance clostebol. While Sinner was ultimately cleared of any fault by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), the case remains under appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Kyrgios has been vocal about his disapproval of the ruling, previously calling for Sinner to be banned.

Mahut, a former doubles World No. 1 and five-time Grand Slam champion, publicly condemned Kyrgios for what he deemed unnecessary and disrespectful remarks. Speaking to Eurosport, Mahut said: “I don’t like these kinds of statements. Kyrgios gave his opinion about Sinner’s positive tests, which is fine, but to let it escalate like this? Sinner has never disrespected anyone, and he’s the No. 1 in the world. There’s no need to let yourself go like this.” Mahut also dismissed Kyrgios’ chances of defeating Sinner, predicting, “Even if the crowd gets excited, Sinner will win that match easily with 6-3s.”

In an interview following his match at the World Tennis League in Abu Dhabi, Kyrgios responded to Mahut’s criticism with characteristic bluntness. Speaking exclusively to Telecom Asia Sports, he remarked: “I don’t know if there’s a back-and-forth. Nicolas Mahut, on a global level, hasn’t made inroads like I have, so I’ll let that be. And I don’t think the world necessarily cares too much about what Nicolas Mahut has to say.”

The 29-year-old, returning to the court after over a year recovering from wrist reconstruction surgery, also addressed his ability to compete at the highest level. “I wasn’t retiring. Trust me, I was two sets away from winning a Grand Slam. I didn’t retire; I was forced to stop playing for a while. It was very, very hard because I was playing the best tennis of my life,” Kyrgios told Telecom Asia Sports. “It’s been about 16 months since my surgery, and I’ve done everything the right way—no shortcuts, just rehab and hard work. I’ve put myself in the best position I can, and now I’ll let my tennis do the talking.”

Kyrgios didn’t shy away from addressing Mahut’s criticism of his confidence, saying: “I have people like Mahut telling me to be realistic. He was an amazing doubles player, a Grand Slam champion, no doubt, but he didn’t have the singles career I’ve had. That’s probably why he has his opinion. But on the singles court, he never had the belief I have, so that opinion means nothing to me.” He added, “Federer, Nadal, Djokovic—they were the greatest because people were defeated before they even stepped on the court with them. I don’t want to be that player. I’ll always back my ability and my belief.”

While Kyrgios acknowledged the current dominance of players like Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, he remained defiant. “There’s no doubt that Sinner, Alcaraz—these guys are the best in the world right now, hands down. But that doesn’t mean I won’t believe in myself. I’ll always back myself and do everything I can to compete,” he stated.

Kyrgios is set to make his much-anticipated return to the Australian Open in January, marking his first appearance at his home Grand Slam in three years. He will also partner with Novak Djokovic in the doubles draw at the Brisbane International, a pairing that has already created buzz in the tennis world.

As Kyrgios reenters the spotlight, one thing is clear—his unfiltered approach and unwavering confidence continue to make him one of tennis’ most polarizing and fascinating figures. Whether or not he faces Sinner, Kyrgios has made it clear that he’s ready to fight for his place among the game’s elite.


News

40,000 Iftar meals and safety leaflets: Dubai RTA’s Ramadan drive explained

Published

on

Spread the love

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has launched a Ramadan traffic awareness campaign, distributing 40,000 awareness leaflets alongside Iftar meals and Ramadan gifts across Dubai.

The initiative targets taxi drivers, delivery bike riders and construction workers, in cooperation with public and private sector partners. The campaign aims to promote safe driving behaviour during the holy month and reduce traffic accidents across the emirate.

RTA confirmed it is using both printed and digital awareness tools to reach a wide audience and reinforce road safety messages throughout Ramadan.

Delivery riders received safety leaflets integrated with Iftar meals, while construction site workers were provided meals accompanied by pedestrian safety awareness materials.

Ahmed Al Khzaimy, Director of Traffic at RTA’s Traffic and Roads Agency, said Ramadan presents an opportunity to intensify awareness initiatives aligned with Dubai’s Traffic Safety Strategy and its vision of becoming “The World Leader in Seamless and Sustainable Mobility.”

He urged drivers to embody the values of patience and tolerance during Ramadan, particularly while fasting, and warned against driving while fatigued or drowsy.

Safety tips for drivers

  • Avoid driving immediately after a heavy Iftar meal
  • Maintain a safe distance and remain patient
  • Plan journeys in advance
  • Avoid disputes with other drivers
  • Do not sleep inside a closed vehicle









Continue Reading

News

Emirates Road lane towards Sharjah to close from February 19

Published

on

Spread the love

The Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure has announced that a lane on Emirates Road heading from Dubai towards Sharjah at Bridge No. 7 will be closed starting Thursday, February 19.

In a statement shared on X, the ministry confirmed that the temporary closure is part of ongoing Emirates Road enhancement and development works. No reopening date has been announced.

Motorists travelling from Dubai to Sharjah are advised to use alternative routes and follow traffic instructions to minimise delays and ensure safety.

Alternative routes and traffic diversions

The ministry urged drivers to comply with safety regulations and road signage to maintain smooth traffic flow during the works.

Earlier in February, authorities also announced the closure of the main road at Al Badi intersection towards Dubai (Emirates Road). In addition, the distribution road was closed, with traffic diverted to Al Hooshi Bridge on Maliha Road (Westbound).

Commuters are encouraged to plan and allow additional travel time during peak hours.








Continue Reading

News

UAE warns retailers of fines up to Dh100,000 for unauthorised Ramadan price hikes

Published

on

Spread the love

Retailers and traders across the UAE have been warned against increasing prices of essential food items during Ramadan without prior approval, with authorities confirming that violators face fines of up to Dh100,000 and possible temporary closure of their establishments.

The Ministry of Economy and Tourism, in coordination with local authorities nationwide, has intensified inspections to ensure compliance with the 2022 Pricing Policy for Essential Consumer Goods, which strictly prohibits price increases on nine key food items without official approval.

9 Essential items under strict monitoring

The regulated items include:

  • Cooking oils
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products
  • Rice
  • Sugar
  • Poultry
  • Legumes
  • Bread
  • Wheat

How residents can file a complaint

Residents who notice discrepancies at supermarkets or grocery stores can formally file complaints, but knowing the correct process is key. If you believe a retailer has raised prices unfairly, here’s exactly what to do.

Step 1: Check the shelf price vs checkout price

Before filing a complaint, confirm there is an actual discrepancy:

  • Compare the shelf price with the scanned price at checkout.
  • Ensure promotional offers are clearly stated.
  • Check whether discounts apply only to loyalty card members.

Step 2: Keep proof of purchase

Your complaint is unlikely to proceed without documentation. Make sure you keep:

  • The purchase receipt or invoice
  • The name and branch of the retailer
  • Details of the product and price difference
  • Photos (if possible) showing shelf pricing

Without supporting evidence, the complaint may be dismissed.

How to file complain in each emirate

For most emirates (Except Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Ajman)

  1. Visit the Ministry of Economy and Tourism website: www.moet.gov.ae
  2. Click on eServices
  3. Select Consumer Protection and Commercial Control Services
  4. Choose Resolve Consumer Complaints
  5. Fill in your details and upload supporting documents

Complaints are typically resolved within one week.

For Dubai

  • Visit: www.consumerrights.ae
  • Click Consumer Complaints
  • Complete the online form and upload evidence

You can also call the helpline: 600 545 555

For Abu Dhabi

Residents can complain through:

  • Call: 800 555 (Abu Dhabi Government Contact Centre)
  • Email: contact@tamm.abudhabi
  • Visit any TAMM service centre

For Ajman

For retailers licensed in Ajman:

  1. Visit www.ajmanded.ae
  2. Click Consumer Protection
  3. Select Request for Complaint
  4. Submit the purchase invoice and supporting documents

Note: The retailer must hold an Ajman-issued commercial licence.

What happens when you file a complaint

Authorities will investigate the case. If a violation is confirmed:

  • Sales of the product may be suspended immediately
  • Retailers may receive written warnings
  • Fines can range from Dh500 to Dh100,000
  • Repeat offenders may face temporary closure

In severe cases, stricter penalties may apply.

With grocery spending typically rising during Ramadan, authorities urge residents to stay vigilant. Taking a few seconds to check your receipt could help prevent unfair pricing and protect household budgets across the UAE.

Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/