Connect with us

Sports

Alcaraz dominates Lajovic, Andreescu breezes past Kenin in Miami – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

Carlos Alcaraz swatted aside Serbian Dusan Lajovic 6-0 7-6(5) to keep his title defence on track at the Miami Open on Sunday, as Canadian Bianca Andreescu cruised past American Sofia Kenin in straight sets.

Spain’s teen phenom won Indian Wells to retake the top ranking last week and kept the momentum going at Hard Rock Stadium as he fired off 26 winners to set up a fourth-round meeting with Australian Open semi-finalist Tommy Paul.

“I always think that you have to go for it,” he told the Tennis Channel after the match. “That’s what I told myself in (those) tough moments.”

Lajovic stunned three-times Grand Slam winner Andy Murray in the first round but never hit his stride on Sunday, letting his only break point chance slip through his fingers in the first set as the US Open winner put on a near-flawless performance.

Alcaraz converted on a break-point in the third game of the second set with an expertly placed forehand winner but helped his opponent to a break in the 10th game with a handful of uncharacteristic errors.

Lajovic refused to go down without a fight, fending off three match points in the tiebreak. But Alcaraz never lost his nerve and clinched it with a blistering backhand winner before pumping his fist triumphantly.

“Everything was under control,” said Alcaraz, who greeted the Miami Heat’s six-time NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler courtside after the match.

“But end of match is never easy. The nerves came out. I made a few mistakes that I didn’t do around the whole match. So it was tough to win.”

Former US Open champion Andreescu harnessed her mighty serve to topple Kenin 6-4 6-4, sending over seven aces as the 2020 Australian Open winner failed to mount much of a defense after an early exit from Indian Wells.

The swift affair was welcome reprieve for Andreescu after lengthy battles against first- and second-round opponents Emma Raducanu of Britain and world number 10 Maria Sakkari, with Ekaterina Alexandrova waiting in the round of 16.

“I definitely enjoy the challenge,” she said in a televised interview. “These victories are definitely very sweet and I’ve had many tough matches against Sofia.”

Botic van de Zandschulp of the Netherlands stunned third seed Casper Ruud 3-6 6-4 6-4, while Denmark’s Holger Rune sent over seven aces and 27 winners to stop Argentine Diego Schwartzman 6-4 6-2. The seventh seed next faces American Taylor Fritz.

Fourth seed Daniil Medvedev advanced by walkover after Alex Molcan withdrew, while his Russian compatriot Andrey Rublev beat Miomir Kecmanovic 6-1 6-2. Italian Jannik Sinner beat Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 6-3 6-4.

Australian Open champion Aryna Sabalenka defeated 31st seed Marie Bouzkova 6-1 6-2 and will next face former French Open champion Barbora Krejcikova, who beat American Madison Keys 7-6(4) 6-3.

Olympic champion Belinda Bencic was knocked out 7-6(8) 6-3 by Ekaterina Alexandrova.

[ad_2]

Source link

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: The consequences Pakistan could face for boycotting the India match 

Published

on

Spread the love

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been thrown into uncertainty after the Pakistan government announced that its national cricket team will boycott its league-stage match against India, scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.

The announcement was made on Sunday via an official government post on X, granting approval for Pakistan to participate in the tournament but explicitly instructing the team not to take the field against India. No reason was cited for the decision.

ICC Issues Strong Warning

The International Cricket Council (ICC) reacted sharply, warning that selective participation threatens the integrity of global tournaments and could have long-term consequences for Pakistan cricket.

In a statement, the ICC said it “expects the PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution that protects the interests of all stakeholders,” while stressing that the decision could harm the global cricket ecosystem.

“Selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms,” the ICC said, adding that it is still awaiting formal communication from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

An important fixture

The India–Pakistan fixture is the most commercially valuable match of ICC tournaments, accounting for a significant share of global broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. If the match is forfeited:

  • Pakistan will lose two group-stage points
  • Its net run rate will be negatively impacted
  • Broadcasters and sponsors could seek compensation

Under ICC Playing Conditions, India must be present at the venue at the time of the toss for the match to be officially forfeited in their favour.

PCB Revenue and PSL at Risk

Despite financial struggles, the PCB currently receives $34.5 million annually from the ICC,  the fourth-highest share among member boards, largely driven by India–Pakistan matches.

If compensation is deducted from this revenue, the PCB could lose up to 70–80% of its annual ICC earnings. The ICC is also reportedly considering denying No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for overseas players seeking to participate in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

There is further concern that major cricket boards such as England and Australia could reconsider bilateral series with Pakistan.

Background to the Crisis

Tensions escalated after the ICC replaced Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament following Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India due to security concerns. PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accused the ICC of double standards and warned that Pakistan’s participation would ultimately depend on government approval.

Pakistan are placed in Group A alongside India, USA, Namibia and the Netherlands, with matches scheduled in Sri Lanka, a co-host of the tournament with India. Pakistan are due to play:

  • Netherlands on February 7
  • USA on February 10
  • Namibia on February 18

The India match now remains in serious doubt.

What Happens Next

The ICC has reiterated that its priority is the successful delivery of the T20 World Cup and has urged the PCB to consider the broader impact on fans, players and the future of Pakistan cricket.

With millions of viewers worldwide and enormous commercial stakes involved, the cricketing world is watching closely as the situation continues to unfold.

– Inputs from ESPN, ICC





Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: STARTRADER named official partner of UAE national cricket team 

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE Men’s National Cricket Team is heading into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 with a major boost, as STARTRADER has been announced as its Official Partner for the global tournament.

The renewed partnership means STARTRADER’s branding will feature on the official UAE team jerseys throughout the World Cup, which kicks off on February 7, 2026, across India and Sri Lanka.

The agreement was signed in Dubai on Wednesday, January 14, in the presence of senior officials from both organisations, including Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad, ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas, STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten, and UAE Men’s Captain Muhammad Waseem.

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten said the collaboration builds on the company’s earlier sponsorship of the UAE team during the Asia Cup, but with an even stronger commitment this time around.

“We know that cricket has a way of reminding us what commitment, trust and growth can achieve,” Karsten said.

“Continuing this partnership reflects our belief in long-term support for communities and in the human spirit driving both the game and the markets.”

He added that the partnership mirrors STARTRADER’s core values, where trust in strategy and teamwork plays a vital role in achieving sustainable growth, whether on the pitch or in global markets.

STARTRADER is regulated by five international authorities, including the SCA, ASIC, FSCA, FSA and FSC, reinforcing its focus on transparency, trust and long-term growth for its clients.

Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad welcomed the renewed partnership, describing it as a relationship that goes beyond sport.

“We are delighted to welcome STARTRADER as our Official Partner for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said. 

“This partnership reflects shared values of discipline, focus and resilience, and aligns perfectly with our vision as the UAE team continues to perform on the world stage.”


Continue Reading

Sports

Dubai named permanent opening city for new global beach volleyball series

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai is about to serve up something big on the global sports stage. The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced Dubai as the permanent opening destination of its brand-new international championship, the Beach World Series, which will launch for the first time in November 2026.

The announcement was made during the World Sports Summit, following the signing of a five-year strategic partnership between the Dubai Sports Council and FIVB, a move that further cements Dubai’s reputation as a leading host of major global sporting events.

A new model for global sport

Under the agreement, Dubai will become the first city in the world to host a permanent opening stop of the Beach World Series, setting a new benchmark for global championships that combine elite competition with entertainment, culture, and fan engagement.

The series introduces an innovative format that blends high-level beach volleyball with music, interactive experiences, and a vibrant beach atmosphere, offering something beyond traditional sporting events.

The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of senior officials from the Dubai Sports Council, with signatures from Guido Betti, Chief Business Officer of Volleyball World, and Eisa Sharif, Director of the Sports Events Department at the Dubai Sports Council.

Ten global destinations

The Beach World Series will span 10 international destinations, each bringing its own identity and local flavour to the competition. Dubai’s role as the opening city positions it at the heart of this global journey, showcasing beach volleyball as both an elite sport and a shared cultural experience.

Additional host cities are expected to be announced in the coming months as the Beach World Series expands across globally recognised sports and entertainment hubs.


Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/