Connect with us

Sports

LIV’s DeChambeau storms into Masters lead, Scheffler one back – ARN News Centre

Published

on

Spread the love

[ad_1]

AFP

LIV Golf’s Bryson DeChambeau used a sizzling burst of late birdies to muscle into a one-shot lead over Scottie Scheffler on Thursday as Spaniard Jon Rahm’s Masters title defence got off to a shaky start.

After a storm delayed the start of the year’s first major by 2-1/2 hours, 2020 US Open champion DeChambeau thrived in the softened but windy conditions and mixed eight birdies with one bogey for a seven-under-par 65.

Due to the late start, there were 27 golfers who had yet to finish their opening rounds before play was suspended due to darkness, including Masters debutant Nicolai Hojgaard of Denmark who was two shots back of DeChambeau with three holes to play.

DeChambeau, who raised eyebrows in 2020 when he said the par-72 Augusta National layout for him played more like a par-67, enjoyed a fast start as he opened with three consecutive birdie putts, none longer than six feet.

The only blemish on DeChambeau’s card came at the par-four ninth where he three-putted from 70 feet but he went on to scorch the back nine with five birdies over a hot six-hole stretch that he capped with a 31-foot birdie putt at the 17th.

“I have a level of respect for this golf course that’s a little bit different than a couple years ago, and clearly today was a great test of golf, and I was able to conquer a very difficult golf course,” said DeChambeau, who is one of 13 LIV Golf players in the field.

“Regarding the 67 comment, you know, you mess up. I’m not a perfect person. Everybody messes up. You learn from your mistakes, and that was definitely one.”

World number one and pre-tournament favourite Scheffler, playing in a high-profile group with Grand Slam-seeking Rory McIlroy and Olympic champion Xander Schauffele, also rode a late birdie blitz to card a bogey-free six-under-par 66.

Scheffler, the 2022 Masters champion, was two under through 11 holes but caught fire with four birdies over his next five to pull within a shot of DeChambeau.

“I did a good job of staying patient today,” said Scheffler. “We kept the golf course in front of us. And, I mean, I executed some really nice up-and-downs to keep the round going.”

McIlroy, who missed the cut in last year’s Masters and is making his 10th attempt at completing a career Grand Slam of golf’s four majors, opened with a 71 while world number five Schauffele carded a 72.

COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED

Sitting in the clubhouse alone in third place was 2016 Masters champion Danny Willett, who is making his first start since undergoing shoulder surgery in September and only decided on Sunday that he would play this week.

The 36-year-old Englishman reached the turn at three under but two bogeys over his next five holes knocked him out of contention until he birdied three of the final four holes.

“I think I might take the next six months off,” Willett joked after his opening 68. “No, it’s completely unexpected. Sometimes that happens, whatever. You make a couple of birdies and your mind starts thinking, all right, I can do it.”

LIV Golf’s Rahm, bidding to become the fourth golfer to successfully defend his Masters crown, launched his title defence with a one-over-par 73.

Rahm reached the turn riding high after two consecutive birdies moved him to two under but he endured a shaky back nine that included four bogeys.

“It’s a difficult golf course. That’s all I can say,” said Rahm. “It’s not easy. You’re not really having the luxury out there of being able to miss shots, especially tee shots. Unfortunately, on that back nine I missed a few too many shots.”

The delayed start to the first round means the day’s late starters, including five-times champion Tiger Woods, 2023 runner-up Brooks Koepka and former winner Dustin Johnson, are unlikely to finish their first rounds on Thursday.

Woods, who is seeking a Masters tournament record 24th consecutive made cut but was one under par through 13 holes.

The 15-times major champion, playing in only his second tournament of 2024 due to nagging injuries, will return early on Friday to complete his opening round and will then have a short turnaround before the second round.

[ad_2]

Source link

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: The consequences Pakistan could face for boycotting the India match 

Published

on

Spread the love

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been thrown into uncertainty after the Pakistan government announced that its national cricket team will boycott its league-stage match against India, scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.

The announcement was made on Sunday via an official government post on X, granting approval for Pakistan to participate in the tournament but explicitly instructing the team not to take the field against India. No reason was cited for the decision.

ICC Issues Strong Warning

The International Cricket Council (ICC) reacted sharply, warning that selective participation threatens the integrity of global tournaments and could have long-term consequences for Pakistan cricket.

In a statement, the ICC said it “expects the PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution that protects the interests of all stakeholders,” while stressing that the decision could harm the global cricket ecosystem.

“Selective participation is difficult to reconcile with the fundamental premise of a global sporting event where all qualified teams are expected to compete on equal terms,” the ICC said, adding that it is still awaiting formal communication from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

An important fixture

The India–Pakistan fixture is the most commercially valuable match of ICC tournaments, accounting for a significant share of global broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. If the match is forfeited:

  • Pakistan will lose two group-stage points
  • Its net run rate will be negatively impacted
  • Broadcasters and sponsors could seek compensation

Under ICC Playing Conditions, India must be present at the venue at the time of the toss for the match to be officially forfeited in their favour.

PCB Revenue and PSL at Risk

Despite financial struggles, the PCB currently receives $34.5 million annually from the ICC,  the fourth-highest share among member boards, largely driven by India–Pakistan matches.

If compensation is deducted from this revenue, the PCB could lose up to 70–80% of its annual ICC earnings. The ICC is also reportedly considering denying No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for overseas players seeking to participate in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

There is further concern that major cricket boards such as England and Australia could reconsider bilateral series with Pakistan.

Background to the Crisis

Tensions escalated after the ICC replaced Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament following Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India due to security concerns. PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accused the ICC of double standards and warned that Pakistan’s participation would ultimately depend on government approval.

Pakistan are placed in Group A alongside India, USA, Namibia and the Netherlands, with matches scheduled in Sri Lanka, a co-host of the tournament with India. Pakistan are due to play:

  • Netherlands on February 7
  • USA on February 10
  • Namibia on February 18

The India match now remains in serious doubt.

What Happens Next

The ICC has reiterated that its priority is the successful delivery of the T20 World Cup and has urged the PCB to consider the broader impact on fans, players and the future of Pakistan cricket.

With millions of viewers worldwide and enormous commercial stakes involved, the cricketing world is watching closely as the situation continues to unfold.

– Inputs from ESPN, ICC





Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup 2026: STARTRADER named official partner of UAE national cricket team 

Published

on

Spread the love

The UAE Men’s National Cricket Team is heading into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 with a major boost, as STARTRADER has been announced as its Official Partner for the global tournament.

The renewed partnership means STARTRADER’s branding will feature on the official UAE team jerseys throughout the World Cup, which kicks off on February 7, 2026, across India and Sri Lanka.

The agreement was signed in Dubai on Wednesday, January 14, in the presence of senior officials from both organisations, including Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad, ECB Board Member Zayed Abbas, STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten, and UAE Men’s Captain Muhammad Waseem.

STARTRADER CEO Peter Karsten said the collaboration builds on the company’s earlier sponsorship of the UAE team during the Asia Cup, but with an even stronger commitment this time around.

“We know that cricket has a way of reminding us what commitment, trust and growth can achieve,” Karsten said.

“Continuing this partnership reflects our belief in long-term support for communities and in the human spirit driving both the game and the markets.”

He added that the partnership mirrors STARTRADER’s core values, where trust in strategy and teamwork plays a vital role in achieving sustainable growth, whether on the pitch or in global markets.

STARTRADER is regulated by five international authorities, including the SCA, ASIC, FSCA, FSA and FSC, reinforcing its focus on transparency, trust and long-term growth for its clients.

Emirates Cricket Board COO Subhan Ahmad welcomed the renewed partnership, describing it as a relationship that goes beyond sport.

“We are delighted to welcome STARTRADER as our Official Partner for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said. 

“This partnership reflects shared values of discipline, focus and resilience, and aligns perfectly with our vision as the UAE team continues to perform on the world stage.”


Continue Reading

Sports

Dubai named permanent opening city for new global beach volleyball series

Published

on

Spread the love

Dubai is about to serve up something big on the global sports stage. The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced Dubai as the permanent opening destination of its brand-new international championship, the Beach World Series, which will launch for the first time in November 2026.

The announcement was made during the World Sports Summit, following the signing of a five-year strategic partnership between the Dubai Sports Council and FIVB, a move that further cements Dubai’s reputation as a leading host of major global sporting events.

A new model for global sport

Under the agreement, Dubai will become the first city in the world to host a permanent opening stop of the Beach World Series, setting a new benchmark for global championships that combine elite competition with entertainment, culture, and fan engagement.

The series introduces an innovative format that blends high-level beach volleyball with music, interactive experiences, and a vibrant beach atmosphere, offering something beyond traditional sporting events.

The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of senior officials from the Dubai Sports Council, with signatures from Guido Betti, Chief Business Officer of Volleyball World, and Eisa Sharif, Director of the Sports Events Department at the Dubai Sports Council.

Ten global destinations

The Beach World Series will span 10 international destinations, each bringing its own identity and local flavour to the competition. Dubai’s role as the opening city positions it at the heart of this global journey, showcasing beach volleyball as both an elite sport and a shared cultural experience.

Additional host cities are expected to be announced in the coming months as the Beach World Series expands across globally recognised sports and entertainment hubs.


Continue Reading

Popular

© Copyright 2025 HEADLINE. All rights reserved

https://headline.ae/